View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 02, 2004, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

communication is needed on the short drop back and quick pass. I am a LJ and have been working with the same R for a least 15 years. On that quick pass to my side , I look at the ref and see one of 3 things. 1) he is blowing his whistle and giving incompete signal. 2) he is persuing the play looking at the ball as it rolls. 3) he is looking at me with the biggest eyes that you've ever seen. in 1 the play is over. IN 2 he has made his judgement that it is a backwards pass. In 3 he needs help so I make the call immediately and firmly whether or not I have a clue as to the situation. In that time we have managed to "sell the call" with very little complaint from coaches. Once I thought it was forward, deflected by a DE but my Ref was calling backward( by persuing the ball). I let it go because I wasn't sure of the initial direction of the pass. At halftime , i found out that he hadn't seen the deflection and we concluded that we had blown it. In retrospect, I should have gone to him after the play or given a tipped signal during the play. ( or both) At any rate we should have straightened it out