Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Did anything change?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim S
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
mcrowder,

All that changed in your scenario was the down. You still have a legal kick. You still have possession after that legal kick. The rule does not make a distinction to what down it is. I will look in the casebook to be sure. But you still start the clock on the snap.

Peace
Incorrect Rut. The rule says to start on the snap when a new series is awarded after a legal kick. Otherwise we start on the ready. Here we do not have a new series. Start on the ready.
Reference the preceding posts: We do have a new series. Remember this little "rule of thumb": Whenever a scrimmage kick is muffed by R, the next down to be 1st for whoever recovers.
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Agree that we have a new series in this case. I was pointing out that Rut made a blanket statement that "You still have possession after that legal kick. The rule does not make a distinction to what down it is".
This is incorrect.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb Gotcha!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim S
Agree that we have a new series in this case. I was pointing out that Rut made a blanket statement that "You still have possession after that legal kick. The rule does not make a distinction to what down it is".
This is incorrect.
OK I see what you're getting at. If K had punted on 3rd down and the ball came back behind the LOS untouched and K recovered and was downed behind the LTG, the next down would be 4th and we would start on the ready. OK, now the question is, should the clock stop at all in this scenario?
I can't find any reason to have stopped the clock in the first place

Jonathan

[Edited by jransom on Aug 24th, 2004 at 01:30 PM]
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

We discussed this in our association meeting last night.

My notes read: "On any non-kick down, if there is a turnover and A ends up with the ball, stop the clock to reset the chains, but then wind the clock on the ready. It is the opposite on scrimmage kicks. The clock starts on the snap following all kick downs. If K keeps possession at the end of a kicking down, but is not awarded a new series, the clock should not be stopped at all."

On a new series awarded to either team on a legal kick, the clock starts on the snap is what I have written down.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Just to make sure I understand the "exception" (which isn't really an exception to the rule ... just an exception to the rule of thumb that the clock would start on the snap after EVERY legal kick...)

Team A, 3rd and 30 from it's own inch line quick-kicks. The kick is muffed and recovered by A on the 25. 4th and 5 from the 25 for Team A - clock starts on the ready, right? (NF, of course - NCAA it would start on the snap).
REPLY: No. I'm assuming that by the way you worded the play, you're saying that A muffed the ball and then recovered on A's 25. If so, it will become B's ball due to the first (illegal) touching. That would be a new series for B. Again start on the snap. In this case it could never be K's ball for a fourth down.
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Re: Gotcha!

Quote:
OK I see what you're getting at. If K had punted on 3rd down and the ball came back behind the LOS untouched and K recovered and was downed behind the LTG, the next down would be 4th and we would start on the ready. OK, now the question is, should the clock stop at all in this scenario?
I can't find any reason to have stopped the clock in the first place

Jonathan

[Edited by jransom on Aug 24th, 2004 at 01:30 PM] [/B]
That is correct. No reason to stop the clock in a lot of cases. The problem is that lot of the time it is. Don't make a big thing out of it on the field (save it for the bar afterwards. Just start on the RFP, unless it makes some kind of big difference ie: the clock would have run out.
Somerimes it is because of fouls, etc. that make the RFP the proper place to start it again.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!