The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 22, 2004, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Have any of your referees started using a lightning detector? Some of the schools in my area have installed them and some have not. In this suit crazy world I have decided to start carrying the Strike Alert personal lightning detector with me on the field when possible thunderstorms are in the area. Just wondering if anyone else is using this safety aid.
Old Sun Aug 22, 2004, 04:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question Does it work better than......

Quote:
Originally posted by SoGARef
Have any of your referees started using a lightning detector? Some of the schools in my area have installed them and some have not. In this suit crazy world I have decided to start carrying the Strike Alert personal lightning detector with me on the field when possible thunderstorms are in the area. Just wondering if anyone else is using this safety aid.
I have never personally used something that I carry with me, but I have worked games where the school had a lighting detector near the field or school. If it comes on that is what we use to figure out if lightening is possible. Other than that, I always pay attention to the sky and listen for thunder. If the AD wants to stop the game for some reason, I would not question them. Some schools also have some weather detectors or computers that let them be aware of bad weather coming. I do not know how much the device you suggest is any better than those I just mentioned?

Peace
Old Sun Aug 22, 2004, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Jeff,

I agree with everything you stated. I would only use the device if no other reliable saftey measure was available. When I cleared the field last Friday I did so long before any game management came to me. While we were off the field both ADs came to me and asked what do we do. I told them I had the authority to clear the field for safety, but it is your call as to whether we continue or cancel the game once I have cleared the field. In GA the state says that a game is cancelled after more than 1 hour delay.

The Strike Alert is the size of a pager. It detects lightning strikes from up to 40 miles away. By observing the series of lights on the top you can determine if the lightning is moving toward you, away from you or stationary. The lights progressively diminish from green to red with the red light meaning that the last lightning strike was within 6 miles of your location. That is a definite sign that no one needs to be on the field.
Old Sun Aug 22, 2004, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SoGARef
Jeff,

I agree with everything you stated. I would only use the device if no other reliable saftey measure was available. When I cleared the field last Friday I did so long before any game management came to me. While we were off the field both ADs came to me and asked what do we do. I told them I had the authority to clear the field for safety, but it is your call as to whether we continue or cancel the game once I have cleared the field. In GA the state says that a game is cancelled after more than 1 hour delay.

The Strike Alert is the size of a pager. It detects lightning strikes from up to 40 miles away. By observing the series of lights on the top you can determine if the lightning is moving toward you, away from you or stationary. The lights progressively diminish from green to red with the red light meaning that the last lightning strike was within 6 miles of your location. That is a definite sign that no one needs to be on the field.

Would you know the cost of this item and where available?
Old Sun Aug 22, 2004, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

I use one when working Track and Field meets.
Old Sun Aug 22, 2004, 05:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by oatmealqueen

Would you know the cost of this item and where available?
I would like to know the same thing.

Peace
Old Sun Aug 22, 2004, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

It can be bought online at http://www.strikealert.com/ for
$79.99. However, Ace Hardware also handles this product and is selling it for 69.99. I had my local Ace Hardware store order me one so that I saved the $10.00 and any shipping and handling charges.