The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 19, 2004, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

This may have already been discussed, but being new to the board, I'm curious....

What are the different state requirements for taking the NF test?

In FL, we get the FED Part I (with ans key) to use as a study guide, then we take a closed book test that is made up by the FHSAA (100 questions T/F & Multiple choice) with a 1 hour time limit (test taken yearly). We don't get a copy of the FED Part II. Must score 75+ to be eligible for Varsity and 80+ for Playoffs.

Thanks
Old Thu Aug 19, 2004, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Hawaii

Last year we took the NFHS Part I in last week of August to get qualified for the state play-offs. Must have 80 or higher to be considered. (70 or higher for veterans of 10 or more seasons; lol, guess they factor in decreasing mental capacity due to age, etc. or something). Then they send out an observer during the season to check mechanics, etc.

Our local association does not have any requirements for working high school varsity. Its mainly based on experience and "field" knowledge. "Book" knowledge is not really factored in unless they are putting you in the referee position.
Old Thu Aug 19, 2004, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Alabama

We take the NF's Test 1 as our registration test, open book after a state rules meeting, at one of the numerous locations statewide. The classification test is a closed book test that is produced by the AHSAA. It is also given at numerous locations statewide. It is usually monitored by a District Director.
Old Thu Aug 19, 2004, 04:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

The NF Part 1 Exam is an open book test that is required every year to maintain your license. At the very least you must get 80 out of 100 to not be put on probation or suspension. The higher the score the more points you can get for what we have as a "power rating" as a consideration for playoffs. But this is just one of many factors that contribute to that rating.

The Part 2 Exam is used for promotion purposes only. When an official reaches the highest level (Certified) they do not have to take the Part 2 Exam anymore (as long as they pay their dues and fulfill all their licensing requirements).

Peace
Old Thu Aug 19, 2004, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

North Carolina is very similar to Florida.

We get the FED Part I (with ans key) to use as a study guide, then we take a the FED PartII closed book test with a 1 hour time limit (test taken yearly). Our score counts toward a possible maximum 30% of our promotional score. Years experience, on-field games from the previous season, number of local rules clinics attended, number of pre-season scrimmages worked, state rules clinic attendance, and association meeting attended make up the remainig possible 70% of your promotional score. You must have a min. of 70 promotional points and a min. grade of 70 on the Part II exam to work a 1st round playoff game, then 80 promotional points and a min. score of 80 on the Part II exam to be eligble for playoff assignment beyond the 1st round.
Old Thu Aug 19, 2004, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

In the southern end of NJ, we take Part 1 as a take home test every year. We must pass but since it is a take home test I don't even know what the minimum score is.

In order to become varsity certified in the first place, we must attend a cadet class for two years (13 to 15 classes per year with 10 weekly test per year) Maintain at least a 75% average, get at least a 75% on local final, which is 2 hours with T/F, muliple choice fill in the blank and many case plays, Then field evaluations are factored in. If all is well, you get to take the NJSIAA qualification test. It is like our local final and is extremely challanging. Once certified, only Part 1 annually is needed and a state rules changes clinic. In our chatper there are 13 to 15 annual classes that you must have 75% attendance. Test are given for discussion purposes in these classes. (actually I am a cadet trainer and have missed these classes for the last several years as I am instructing).
These classes are very valuable to maintaining rules knowledge and mechanics, if you apply yourself.

PS The easiest tests I take here in southern NJ are Federation test.
Old Thu Aug 19, 2004, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

In our area of NY, we also receive Part I as a study guide. Active (full) members must score 85% on the closed-book Part II - missing the cutoff two straight years results in a drop in status. All members must score 70% to work at all, though I'm not sure what happens if someone doesn't make it.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
In Washington it works by local association. In most of the state the test is given as an open book test. In Seattle we take it closed book. No receiving anything except books ahead of time. There are minimums to pass and also to become eligible for playoff consideration. Rookies (1&2 year) take the test openbook.
We take it on a Saturday (site open for most of the day), receive the results about 10 days later, and let the arguing begin!

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 09:29am
VaASAump

In our Peninsula (Virginia) Association, we take test closed book. Like Seattle, we also have minimums to pass and also to become eligible for playoff consideration. Unlike Seattle though, rookies, along with everybody else, also take test closed book. No open book in our association.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Georgia

fed Part I (open book)
state created mechanics (open book)
state created Part II (closed book) used to determine certification. must make 85 or above.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Kansas

We take the NF Test 1 as open book at home and are encouraged work it with other officials but not to just copy the answers. We must get a 90% on it to pass and be eligible for the playoffs. No other tests for us to take.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Ohio does not use any test. We do have to pass the NF test after our class the first year, and again to move up to class 1 after the second year, but after that no testing. Now In our local we have quizes after each meeting, not graded, but to let you know where you need to focus.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Virginia

To add to VaASAump:

Virginia is a closed book Part I test; must get a 70 to work varsity and an 80 to be eligible for playoffs (plus any local criteria). An official can take Part II (closed book) only if (a) they did not take Part I, or (b) if their Part I score was below 80.
Old Mon Aug 23, 2004, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Northern NJ: Part 1 taken as an open book test. Encouraged to do it together with your crew. Must turn it in, but I don't know what "passing" is. We never even see Part 2 here.
Old Wed Aug 25, 2004, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Another note in Washington:

While it is judged by local association how the test will be administered, there is a state rule that an official must pass the test and attend at least 75% of all meetings of the local association in order to work Varsity games. In order to be eligible to work the playoffs, you need to be chosen by your association. I'm not sure if it was my association's rule or a state rule that you needed to work at least 3 Varsity games in a given position to be nominated to work that position in the playoffs. My association gave the previous year's test to first-year officials half-way through the season to work on open-book and bring back for grading a week later. The next week first-years were given that year's test to be taken closed-book, with approximately a 2-hour time limit. All experienced officials took the test open-book at the beginning of August.

In Northern Nevada the test is given closed-book to all officials. Books are passed out, study sessions happen where old tests are reviewed (this is great for experienced officials, but horrible for new officials), and the test happens about 2 weeks later. 70% is passing: if you don't make that, you have to re-take the test until you get 70%. You will not get to work any HS games until you pass the test.

-Craig