The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 13, 2004, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Question

As for the coach calling TO, are we supposed to watch the field AND determine who called the TO? An assistant? A player? How will we know if we are doing our job on the field?

Just as in basketball, I view this as another way to 'baby' the coaches. If it's not broken, don't fix it!
Old Fri Aug 13, 2004, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think it'll be too difficult. I can certainly see where problems may arise (as Forksref pointed out, how can we grant the coach a timeout if we're watching the field.)

If coaches take the effort to get our attention in between plays and hopefully not when a snap is imminent, it shouldn't cause any problems. But we all know, nothing is ever for sure in football, anything can happen.

I officiate an adult football league in the Spring and they allow the head coach to call a timeout and I've never had any problems. I certainly wouldn't grant it sight unseen, I'd definitely make sure to have the eye contact they talk about.....
Old Fri Aug 13, 2004, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

I agree, it will be kind of a pain; there was no problem with the old method. I think you should just talk to the coach before the game and you try to learn what his voice sounds like, so that while you are in the game you can watch the ball and when you hear his voice you can tell its him.
Old Fri Aug 13, 2004, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

When we meet with coaches pre-game I give them a card with our names and positions on them and I make it a point to tell the coach who is on his sideline. It is usually easy to see the head coach during the game or at least know where he is most of the time. I would imagine that he would most likely seek you out and call you by name(hopefully your REAL name) to get your attention to call time. We are going to tell the head coach that the best thing for him to do would be exactly that.The only problem I can see is when the ball is inside the twenty and the wing is beyond the box. But then again that has been a problem under the old mechanic also.
Old Fri Aug 13, 2004, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FGallie22
I agree, WH should address this with the coach in the pregame
Old Fri Aug 13, 2004, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Our wing officials were instructed by the NCHSAA not to turn and look for a coach requesting TO after the ready whistle. Keep your eyes on the field. earn to recognize his voice if you have to and definitely talk about it in the pregame.
Old Sat Aug 14, 2004, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Our wing officials were instructed by the NCHSAA not to turn and look for a coach requesting TO after the ready whistle. Keep your eyes on the field. earn to recognize his voice if you have to and definitely talk about it in the pregame.
Our association is telling us that visual contact is required, even if you recognize the voice... I think I like your way better, but unfortunately I don't have discretion here...
Old Sun Aug 15, 2004, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Same here. We must have visual eye-to-eye contact to assure it's the head coach calling for a TO. If the snap is iminent, one if his players will have to be the one to make the request now.
Old Sun Aug 15, 2004, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Not turning around at any time after the ready is pretty harsh in my opinion. If the R blows it ready and they're still in the huddle, you can't turn around and look at a coach?

There's got to be a little common sense injected there.
Old Sun Aug 15, 2004, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
Not turning around at any time after the ready is pretty harsh in my opinion. If the R blows it ready and they're still in the huddle, you can't turn around and look at a coach?

There's got to be a little common sense injected there.
Agreed. Let the coach know before the game your primary responsibility is not waiting for him to call a timeout. I would let him know when play is in the red zone chances of an official hearing or seeing him with be small.
Old Sun Aug 15, 2004, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed. Let the coach know before the game your primary responsibility is not waiting for him to call a timeout. I would let him know when play is in the red zone chances of an official hearing or seeing him with be small. [/B][/QUOTE]

Since allowing basketball coaches to call timeout, it appears as if the players no longer know how to call timeout. They look at the coach with a pained expression trying to figure out what to do. Players no longer are taught the responsibility of figuring out when to call a timeout in a crucial situation. The QB will be looking at the bench more than ever.

Old Sun Aug 15, 2004, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
Agreed. Let the coach know before the game your primary responsibility is not waiting for him to call a timeout. I would let him know when play is in the red zone chances of an official hearing or seeing him with be small.
Since allowing basketball coaches to call timeout, it appears as if the players no longer know how to call timeout. They look at the coach with a pained expression trying to figure out what to do. Players no longer are taught the responsibility of figuring out when to call a timeout in a crucial situation. The QB will be looking at the bench more than ever.

[/B][/QUOTE]
Just wait a couple years and that will also set into football players.
Old Sun Aug 15, 2004, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

In my opinion, no change needed to be made, and this is only asking for trouble, but "they" did not ask me.

We had a meeting with coaches recently and it was stressed that coaches calling a TO is not a "sure thing." If eye contact is not made, no TO is to be granted. We were told that wings are not to look away from the field after the ready (I also think this is a little harsh, but it sets a definite limit on things).
Old Mon Aug 16, 2004, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

The Southern Division of the NJFOA says eye contact has to be made but don't turn towards the sideline if the ball is about to be snapped. I like the idea of giving the head coach my name, and I will do that
Old Mon Aug 16, 2004, 11:30am
Do not give a damn!!

Do not complicate this issue.

For those the work basketball, you should be used to this.

For those that do not work basketball, you should handle this just like basketball. Basketball officials have to deal with Head Coaches calling timeouts as well. It is customary to not turn and look and not to assume we heard the coach call a timeout. You should hear, see and recognize a timeout request. Hear the timeout request. See who is calling it. Recognize who made the request and the situation it was requested. Then when all that happens and the proper person requests a timeout, you grant it.

As a Referee, I am going to inform him that he still should have players request timeouts. We will only pay attention to his request when we are facing him. I really think this will not become much of an issue.

Peace