The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

This will be my inaugural season as a football ref after having played interior line some 25 yrs ago.

My first meeting - a rules update compressed video meeting - was a hoot! My first time meeting the others.

Now I know where all the old athletes end up! Nothing like a roomful of "young" old guys. I thought I was the lone 44 yr old ex-jock but now I know where some of them end up!

Anyhow, even though I played a long time ago, have watched countless HS, collegiate and pro games, I feel quite overwhelmed.

My initial intentions were to ref the Junior High and some local 9 man HS games around our area. Leaving the Varsity HS games to the "old" guys. As luck has it, our area is very short on refs so apparently I'll be doing some Varsity games.

I'm reading the 5 NFHS booklets on rules, official manual,simplified, case and handbook but man it's a ton of stuff.

Not knowing where they'll place me yet, can some of you point out the areas I should be concentrating on initially as it relates to the most often violated rules? Or point me to a few basic articles for the new ref?

I'm also thinking of ordering my gear from http://www.getofficial.com has anyone used them and would you recommend the starter package there?

Obviously I will be a lurker here for quite some time. Just wanted to let you know I was around and soaking up all I can here. Nice site. Hopefully one day I'll be able to contribute to it.

Apologies for the lengthy post... Thanks.
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 11:59am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by WyMike
This will be my inaugural season as a football ref after having played interior line some 25 yrs ago.

My first meeting - a rules update compressed video meeting - was a hoot! My first time meeting the others.

Now I know where all the old athletes end up! Nothing like a roomful of "young" old guys. I thought I was the lone 44 yr old ex-jock but now I know where some of them end up!

Anyhow, even though I played a long time ago, have watched countless HS, collegiate and pro games, I feel quite overwhelmed.

My initial intentions were to ref the Junior High and some local 9 man HS games around our area. Leaving the Varsity HS games to the "old" guys. As luck has it, our area is very short on refs so apparently I'll be doing some Varsity games.

I'm reading the 5 NFHS booklets on rules, official manual,simplified, case and handbook but man it's a ton of stuff.

Not knowing where they'll place me yet, can some of you point out the areas I should be concentrating on initially as it relates to the most often violated rules? Or point me to a few basic articles for the new ref?

I'm also thinking of ordering my gear from http://www.getofficial.com has anyone used them and would you recommend the starter package there?

Obviously I will be a lurker here for quite some time. Just wanted to let you know I was around and soaking up all I can here. Nice site. Hopefully one day I'll be able to contribute to it.

Apologies for the lengthy post... Thanks.
Ask to be the "white hat". It's a low-key position where you don't do much.

LOL - j/k. Welcome to the board, Mike from Wyoming.

..Mike from Ontario
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Besides your own books, numberous posts on this site are loaded with info for the new official. Everyone says to start with the definitions in the rule book. As far as the uniform, you might try http://www.honigs.com. I think they have excellent quality products. I haven't tried getofficial.com so I can't compare them. Good Luck and have fun!
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

I took a look at getofficial's starter pack and I'll take Honig's gear over the Cliff Keen product's anyday. I think you'll see honig's starter pack includes more items also.
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

I'd definitely say to concentrate on Rule 2: Definitions. If you can't define a term in football, you're already losing the battle. If you can define a term without flipping to the page in the book, you'll be able to read most of the rest of the book with ease.

Another good thing to read each week until it's second nature is the "Football Fundamentals" at the back of the book (pg. 70). Those are great overview-type rules that can get you out of a lot of trouble and stop you from thinking yourself into a bad situation. ;o)

As for gear: Honig's is higher quality than Cliff Keen products. I purchased a CK umpire jersey and later purchased a Honig's: I'm much more satisfied with my Honig's jersey. I also prefer the Honig's football jerseys and knickers much more than the CK.

-Craig
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome. My history is much like yours. I just started officiating last year (and love it). Played in HS and 20 some years later got into officiating. I fortunately was coerced by a good friend to start ( he has been an official for 20+ years) and have been using him as a mentor (even subbed on his varsity crew a few games). I would suggest finding someone like that, it will help immensely.

He directed me to http://www.honigs.com as well, and I purchased from them. They were great to work with. I didn't buy a "package" but put together items based on his recommendation for my area (NE WI). Honigs even allowed me to return a few items and switch them.

I agree the definitions are Key, and the thing that scared me most was that for as much football I followed (NFL, NCAA, HS, etc.) I didn't know squat when it came to rules, terms, enforcement, mechanics, etc. But, with the rule book, official's guide, and case book in hand, I feel more comfortable this year (that should sufficiently set me up for a fall).

Additional things to do to get into the swing is to tag along with a crew to a few games and watch the crew operate from the sidelines. It helps you get a better perspecitive on what the officials are watching etc.

Good Luck!
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Mike, all good advice up above here...where ya from...I am in cheyenne....doing nine man games I am guessing you must be up north somewhere???
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Purchase the Officals Study Guide to NFHS Football.
It's worth every penny.
You can find it at Honigs web site.
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the support and replies.

No doubt I'll be heading to honigs to order up a few things later on today.

cmathews, so much for the anonymity eh? I guess my cover as a Sheridan rookie has been blown! Do you have any old stories about the crews up here I can bring up at our next meeting on Monday? ;-)
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have anything to add to what the other guys said. I don't know squat about NF rules. We use NCAA down in Texas. Anyhow one thing I noticed from your posts is your excitement. Just keep that excitement and you'll do fine. If your not pumped up and getting butterflies even before working a pee wee game then something ain't clicking. Good luck and have a great season.
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

WYMike,
no real stories all of my officiating has been done from down here...but I am originally from the Sundance-Hulett area.. I do know however that if you can get Boedeker started his laugh is pretty infectious...ask him about Lane and cinderblock, at the Laramie basketball camp in July....see if that can get him going..
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Welcome aboard. You can go to the umpire position. After all you have experience in the middle. Then you find out how much faster it's gotten in the last 25 years. ;>)

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

DEFINITIONS and MECHANICS
Alexandria, LA
Louisiana NG
Old Thu Aug 12, 2004, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

The hardest part is when you are working with a crew and they all have different beliefs on simple mechanics. Then you get pulled about 50 directions.
Old Fri Aug 13, 2004, 03:41am
Official Forum Member

Study rule # 2 . Rules book and case book.

I have a erasable clipboard on which I draw out the case book situations and test questions. It helps in keeping thoughts straight the a , b , c , ... examples . It also made "seeing" why the penalty enforcements make sense.

Good Luck