The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 13, 2004, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
this is what I have done

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim S
Welcome aboard. You can go to the umpire position. After all you have experience in the middle. Then you find out how much faster it's gotten in the last 25 years. ;>)
I have a crew of 6 rookies this year. My former lineman is my umpire. My wings and back judge were receivers or d-backs. I do have a NCAA ref who keeps us straight and trains us.

Good luck and welcome to the family. You are in for a wild ride...and you get paid for it...

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Fri Aug 13, 2004, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

I found the Umpire position well suited for me also, as a new official last year, and a lineman from long ago.... But some habits don't go away. My very first varisty game, very first running play, my first move was to prepare to make a tackle when the ball carrier was coming at me... I quickly remembered I was no longer a D-tackle and let the ball carrier go by. Old habits come back quickly. That desire to tackle reappears perodically, but I have been able to quell that feeling. I can just imagine never officiating a game again if I followed through.

I found I really enjoyed being in the middle, felt like home. yet, this year I do want to get experience at the wings, that's one of my goals.
Old Fri Aug 13, 2004, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jumpmaster

Good luck and welcome to the family. You are in for a wild ride...and you get paid for it...
PAID?!?!? They told me a free hot dog and coke at half-time was all the new guy gets their first year. And then on top of that, I'm supposed to buy all the beer too?!?!

* By the way... Just finished placing my order at honigs for my starter package based on your recommendations. If anyone else will be calling there, ask for Jimmy. A great guy and huge help too. Nice place to order from. Thanks.
Old Fri Aug 13, 2004, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WyMike
* By the way... Just finished placing my order at honigs for my starter package based on your recommendations. If anyone else will be calling there, ask for Jimmy. A great guy and huge help too. Nice place to order from. Thanks.
I'm also happy with Honigs, I have never called but always order online and have not had any problems with them.
Old Fri Aug 13, 2004, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

I just got a mesh shirt from them and I'm underwhelmed. The sleeves seem bunched at the end near the black. Anybody else have one of their mesh shirts?
Old Fri Aug 13, 2004, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

I bought a mesh shirt from Honigs two seasons ago for summer ball. Love it. I was going to buy another, but heard they had a recall last season. Something to do with your problem and the fact that the stripes faded after a few washes. I'm hoping that their problems get "ironed out" because I sure would like to get another one. I even use it now in the fall because it is so comfortable. LOVE the mesh hats also.
Old Fri Aug 13, 2004, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
I just got a mesh shirt from them and I'm underwhelmed. The sleeves seem bunched at the end near the black. Anybody else have one of their mesh shirts?
Call them up and talk to them about it, their support is very good, I'm sure they will tell you if its suppose to be like that or not.
Old Tue Aug 17, 2004, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Had my second get together with the others last night to do some reviewing of the rules and mechanics open book test to be sent in. It was like a "Tastes great! Less filling!" commercial.

Half would holler "True!" and half would holler "False!" then the debates would start. I now feel a lot better about things! This is going to be a very good time, getting back out onto the field, and glad I decided to ref. Better yet... Glad I did some research and found this forum!