The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 11, 2004, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

R1 signals for a fair catch beyond the neutral zone on K's 40. K2 interfers with R1's opportunity to make the catch. R chooses to put the ball in play with a snap. During the down, A1 gains 15 yards and the coach of B is charged with an unsportslike foul.
Ruling: The unsportsmanlike foul during the down does not give A another choice to snap or free kick.

My Question: On what rule is this interpretation based? I know it is a succeeding spot administration, but where (if any) does the rule book say this should be considered or treated like a dead ball foul (and the down has ended)? It is not a lose of down or auto first down situation (NF) and the foul occurred during the down.

I could buy the arugment that a new series was awarded, therefore we were not replaying the down - except for the fact in the next situation, B commits DPI carrying an auto first down. They say A retains their options.

Why, by rule, should A loose their options?
Old Sat Sep 11, 2004, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

A USC is NOT a replay of a down. The only time those choices remain is if a dead-ball foul occurs prior to the **down or the **down is REPLAYED. If DPI is committed and an automatic 1st down is awarded this is still considered to be a replay of the down which is why the choices would remain that situation.

The choices are where to spot the ball and whether R wants to put the ball in play by snap or free kick.

** - I'm referring to the down following the fair catch or awarded fair catch.
Old Sat Sep 11, 2004, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

So you are saying if A had lost 15 on the play and B's UC occurred during the down - it is second down after administing the penalty. You must be basing that opinion on a rule. Which one?

Rule: 5-2-2 states inpart: >>> The number of the next down is the same as that of the down during which the foul occurred unless the penalty accptance includes a first down or loss of down, or the enforcement or the advance results in a first down. >>>

It does not include UC or non-player fouls even though they are secceeding spot fouls. Where does it say UC is loss of down or the down has ended??

[Edited by dumbref on Sep 11th, 2004 at 02:51 PM]
Old Sat Sep 11, 2004, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

I believe the difference may be in the type of foul that is committed. The UC being a non-player foul and th e pass intereference being a live ball player foul would cause their enforcement to be treated differently. Because by definition Rule 2-16-2c,e,f the Uc is not a live ball foul and had no effect on the play, it cannot become a factor in giving A a choice in replaying the down.
Old Sat Sep 11, 2004, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Check out the definition of a player foul. (2-16-2-f)

Player – a foul (other than non-player or unsportsmanlike) by a player in the game hereafter referred to as a foul.

Basically that means that whenever you see the word "foul" in the book, you (usually) can assume that means player fouls, which does not include non-player and USC fouls...

I put the "usually" in there because I'm sure you can find more than one instance in the book where they are inconsistent with this...
Old Sat Sep 11, 2004, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

it cannot become a factor in giving A a choice in replaying the down

Thank you for the rule and your interpretation maybe correct. But I read "and does not influence the play" as a restriction to the definition the same as illegal participation. If the foul influenced the play, it would not be nonplayer or unsportsmanlike.

I still do not see where A would give up the right to replay the down if B's UC foul occurred "during the down" whether it is a coach or a player. There is only a difference in the basic spot of administration. UC & nonplayer certainly do not fall under the all but one, but neither do I see where they influence the down.

[Edited by dumbref on Sep 11th, 2004 at 05:33 PM]
Old Sat Sep 11, 2004, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

The rule is being interpreted incorrectly. The part about the down being replayed applies to when an IW was blown.

As long as foul occurs during the down following the fair catch AND the penalty is accepted, the option to free kick remains.

(added) so what I am saying, is in my opinion that the CB situation looks to be incorrect.

[Edited by Theisey on Sep 11th, 2004 at 07:02 PM]
Old Sat Sep 11, 2004, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Theisey

Replay applying only to the inadverted whistle is a different twist. I have always interpreted that as both the foul and the whistle. If that were so, wouldn't that mean the options are still in effect even if the foul is declined?

The more I read Piggskin's reply, he is probably correct. "a foul" probably implies only player fouls and excludes UC and nonplayer fouls from the options. How obscure! Leave it to the NF - you have to know 6 rules to understand 1. 33 years in this stuff and I still have to read the definitions to understand. Thank you Pigg - I accept your ruling.
Old Sat Sep 11, 2004, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

All USC fouls are treated as dead-ball fouls. That being the case, A ran a play that it gained 15 yards and during that play the coach of B commits the USC. The USC is treated as a dead-ball foul. It is added on to the end of the run (succeeding spot). A does not get a choice because A has run a live play since it made its choice. To allow A to make that choice again would be giving A an unfair advantage. In the next example DPI is a live-ball foul and therefore carries the opportunity to replay the down which would give A it options again.
Old Sun Sep 12, 2004, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Quote:
Originally posted by dumbref
So you are saying if A had lost 15 on the play and B's UC occurred during the down - it is second down after administing the penalty. You must be basing that opinion on a rule. Which one?
[Edited by dumbref on Sep 11th, 2004 at 02:51 PM]
How is this example different from the other? The next down in both is second down WHETHER OR NOT The USL is accepted. The down is not replayed in either case therefore the option is lost.
Now if the foul against B was a live ball foul then the down would be replayed (and for purposes of the option rule it is assumed that a 1st down is still a replay of the down) and the option would still be in effect. The same would be true even if there was a foul on A that did not include a loss of down, or a double foul that resulted in a replay of the down.
The rule allows for the option to remain in effect if the down is to be replayed. A USL or non-player foul simply does not make a down be replayed. For example look a 4th down play where A does not reach the LTG. The ball goes over to B. And THEN, any of these fouls are enforced. Obviously the 4th down is not being replayed.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!