The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 01, 2004, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

POTD on 7/30 was the following....

During the last timed down of the fourth period, A scores a touchdown to make the score 14-13. During the successful kick try, B1 roughs the kicker/holder.

Ruling: If A accepts the score, the penalty is enforced to start the overtime, if an overtime is played. If A accepts the penatly, the try will be replayed from the 1 1/2-yard line. (3.1.1B)

Why is the 4th period permitted to end? I would think if A accepted the score then they would free kick from B's 45 for an untimed down. It's an accepted live-ball foul. What am I missing?
Old Sun Aug 01, 2004, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

The quarter ended without a foul. At that point it's over, as nothing has occurred that would require the quarter to be extended. That's what rule 3-3-3 talks about.
A Try down is a unique part of the game as we all know its not a timed down. Fouls during this untimed and unnumbered down do not cause an extension of the game. Fouls might carry over to the next quarter or into OT but that's about it.
Old Sun Aug 01, 2004, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the clarification. I just took out my 2004 rule book to review 3.3.3. They highlighted "timed" in 3.3.3 this year. They also added a special note saying "The period shall not be extended further when the defense fouls during a successful try/field goal and the offended team accepts the results of the play with enforcement of the penalty from the succeeding spot."

Thanks again. You were right on!
Old Mon Aug 02, 2004, 03:41am
Official Forum Member

During the last timed down of the fourth period, A scores a touchdown to make the score 14-13. During the successful kick try, B1 roughs the kicker/holder.

I have to say, I completely read that worng. Why would A be listed second in the score? I really couldn't understand why there would be overtime until I decided to change the score around. It should read 'to make the score 13-14' right?

just for clarification..

James
Old Mon Aug 09, 2004, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ljudge
Thanks for the clarification. I just took out my 2004 rule book to review 3.3.3. They highlighted "timed" in 3.3.3 this year. They also added a special note saying "The period shall not be extended further when the defense fouls during a successful try/field goal and the offended team accepts the results of the play with enforcement of the penalty from the succeeding spot."

Thanks again. You were right on!
REPLY: ljudge...Actually, the book now reads exactly as it did in 2002. Last year in 2003, they changed it so that literally interpreted, you would have had to replay the succeeding kickoff as part of the fourth period. Because of all the confusion, this season (2004) they've changed it back to the way it was.