The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 26, 2004, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS 1.2.1.e page 17:
Knee pads worn over the knee and under the pants.
Pants which cover the knees and knee pads.

With the young players watching players in the NFL and NCAA wearing shorter pants each year; ie. Marteeen G, from TB whose pants barely cover his upper legs, any shorter he could get a job waiting tables at Hooters. It is becoming a problem at the HS level. I have noticed that the NCAA has not taken a stance on this issue, as yet.

Players pull their pants down just enough to barely cover the knees when they are standing still. As soon as they move to participate the pads are way above the knee. At what point do you disqualify a player for not wearing the equipment correctly?

I disqualified a player in week 4 of the season because of this. My gosh, you would have thought I slapped the coach's mother. I had to endure a tirade from the HC because, as he pointed out numerous times, the player had already participated in 3 games that year. Who was I to tell his player that he could not play?

Finally, I'll get to the question.

How do you handle this?
Is your association strict on this?
Alexandria, LA
Louisiana NG
Old Mon Jul 26, 2004, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

NF: why are you DQing the player? It's my recollection that a UC is charged to the head coach not the player. If that coach doesn't fix the problem and gets another, he's history for this game. The player sits until his equipment problem is corrected.

NCAA: here we start by charging the team in violation with time-outs which could later result in yardage penalties.
I think the NCAA has taken a stance, it seems that every year, including this year, their Training Video shows this and instructs us to call it. Trust me, the coach hates losing a timeout(s).
Old Tue Jul 27, 2004, 06:55am
Official Forum Member

We have a bit of a problem with that also in Germany. In the north they don't really worry about this, and when I am U or R I always insist. When a team from the north comes, I tend to warn them before the game, and use up their time outs during the game. I think I've only given 1 5-yarder (after all the time-outs are gone). Usually they run over to the side line and find some sort of volleyball type kneepads.
But I also let them know before the game that it is unacceptable (even though they SHOULD know that).

James
Old Tue Jul 27, 2004, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Chief,
I think you blew this one. Get the kid off the field, UC for the coach. UC x2 and coach goes home - not the kid.

With Fed rules, EVERYTHING revolves around safety. In my mind, this is a safety issue and should be addressed. A simple word with the coach should go along way - if he knows what's up.

Second, I would address this with my association and come to a consensus on how to enforce this as an association.

Third, FWIW, I think those guys not wearing knee pads are idiots. But then, when you make millions of $ a year, you can afford to be that way.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Fri Jul 30, 2004, 11:27pm
tpaul

jersey's too

Guys,

Not to change the subject but I have seen players who do simular things to their jersy's. Tie them up. Cut them way too short. I know if a few players do this you can pick them out and handle it but what about a whole team with illegal jerseys?

I know my association always says "play the game."

Adding on to that is: Every year when I go to watch the Championship games with all the top officials (from the schools, etc.). Almost every team has illegal jerseys on and nothing is even said about it!

I know it feels like I am always swimming up stream! The coachs always say they let him play last week....
Old Sat Jul 31, 2004, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

We need to find who "last weeks crew" is and beat them up.
Old Sat Jul 31, 2004, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Had a game last fall where we required the visiting team to "pad" a knee brace before we'd let the kid play. The head coaches response was, "they let him play (without padding) last week...."

Long story short, a month later one of our crew members was at a game with this same team. The crew working that game didn't require the player to pad the knee brace.

Moral of the story: Do what's required by rule. If you let the brace go (without padding) and someone gets hurt, etc. by the brace, then what happens? Enforce the rule, especially when it's a potential safety issue.

As for the jerseys tied up - unless it exposes pads that are flopping around, etc., I'm not sure why it's that big of deal. Having said that, the rule is pretty specific.
Old Sat Jul 31, 2004, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Re: jersey's too

Quote:
Originally posted by tpaul
I know it feels like I am always swimming up stream! The coachs always say they let him play last week....
My response to this is simple, that doesn't mean its legal.
Old Sat Jul 31, 2004, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

I'd get the kid off the field and tell the head coach. If we noticed it prior to the first kid coming into the game and the coach didn't fix it, he'd get UC. We try to be preventive if possible.

As for the unpadded knee brace. Just have a good attorney if something happens to another player hit by it. Maybe you could get a group rate, because the head coach will need one too.
Old Sun Aug 01, 2004, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
I'd get the kid off the field and tell the head coach. If we noticed it prior to the first kid coming into the game and the coach didn't fix it, he'd get UC. We try to be preventive if possible.

As for the unpadded knee brace. Just have a good attorney if something happens to another player hit by it. Maybe you could get a group rate, because the head coach will need one too.
Forksref, that sums it up quite eloquently. Preventive officiating also includes preventing lawsuits!