The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Did anyone get the Aug. edition of Referee? There's a case play on page 18 that has me a bit confused. I usually take their case plays as gospel but I'm not so sure this time....

"Play:

With 1 second remaining in the 4th quarter, team A trails,7-6. Team A has the ball, 4th and 10 on the 50 yardline. QB A1, finding no open receiver, decides to run. A1 scrambles and advances to team B's five yardline. Realizing he will not make the end zone, he throws a desperation forward pass. Ineligible A2 catches the ball in team B's end zone.

Ruling:

(NFHS) Team A is guilty of an illegal forward pass. If the penality is accepted, it is 5 yards enforced from the spot of the pass. The penalty also includes a loss of down. Because the foul occurred on the last timed down of a period, team B wil run one play from its own 10 yardline. Note that team A cannot be flagged for offensive pass interference because that penalty only applies to legal forward passes."

My interpretation:

I believe A still has the ball for an untimed down. A has made the line to gain after enforcement and the loss of down is of no significance. If the foul had been declined it would be a TD so B wouldn't choose that. So, I have A for an untimed down 1st and Goal at the 10.

Actually, I thought I read this before so if there's a post out there mentioning this please direct me to it. But more importantly, is the ruling wrong or am I missing something???