View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 31, 2004, 01:42am
tpaul

Re: Consider this answer!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KWH
Quote:
Originally posted by jack015
Quote:
Does 1.1.6 and/or 3.6.3 allow the referee to start the clock and prevent team A from putting the ball in play, in other words run time off the clock as you would to correct a timing error? Just wondering what other's thoughts are.
Absolutely not!
1-1-6 refers to a: situation not specifically covered in the rules.
The only foul commited by A during the above play was a snap infraction. AND,
A snap infraction is specifically covered under rule 7-1-3!!!

3-6-3 allows the Referee to start the clock on the ready for play. However, it is not applicable as by rule the clock was running when the dead ball penalty occurred so the clock will start on the Ready-for-play. And the term Ready-for-Play means the ball may be snapped when the whistle is blown. If the officials were to start the clock and by some means purposley prevent A to snap the ball they would not be performing their duties in the correctly perscribed manner. This course of action is not allowed by rule. Ready-for-play means Ready-for-play!

Now we get to 9-9-3
A did nothing to justify ...making a travesty of the game!
Again, all A did is committ a Snap Infraction!
Again, the penalty for a snap infraction is covered in the rules.
Again, if we want to change the rules their are specific guidelines to change them.
While I feel a 10 second runoff may solve some of these issues, a 10 second runoff is not allowed under NFHS rules, therefore I will not implement a 10 second runoff. Others may feel they can start the clock and have the umpire stand over the ball. Again, you would be deralict in your duties if you caused this action to occur.
In summarry, if A fouls and gains an advantage (or a victory) because of it, we are not in a position to attempt to bend the rules because we feel it will correct an immediate problem. It is better to let the players decide the outcome and then file a game report outlining the specific rules issue with your state association.
OR,
Propose a rule change thru your state association.
Don't take the law into your own hands, you are solving nothing and rather YOU are now the problem!
Let it be known that I wasn't trying to "bend the rules." I was looking at a possible change in the rules to stop A from getting an advantage by committing a foul. Is that "making a travesty of the game?" It could be....

I do like the 10 second run off, the best. I was just throwing ideas around.

If the current play happened I would follow the current rules of the NFHS. If A happened to win, so be it.

It doesn't seem right/fair but you are right we can't just change the rules on our own during a game.