The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Question

NFHS-2004
This year the head coach may call a time-out.

Question:
If the head coach is DQ'd, can an assistant coach call a time-out?
Alexandria, LA
Louisiana NG
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

I say yes.
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 07:07pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Anybody may request a timeout.

In Canadian football, timeouts are only granted if requested:

- during a dead ball period
- by a player on the field
- and that team has a timeout left

In the amateur rulebook, there are two timeouts per regulation-time half.
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

I'm interested in finding out at our annual rules interpretation meeting what the state says we should do. The rule is crystal clear. ONLY the HEAD coach may call a time out. (OK, players can but that's not what we're talking about) So, if the head coach decides to sit in the press box, coach from the roof of the gym, coach from a cherry-picker, or some other apparatus of his choice to give him elevation, he forfeits his right to take advantage of this rule. That's the way it has been spelled out in everything I've read to date, including the rule book.

In the case of a DQ'd coach, there isn't a new head coach so the rule remains the same.

But again, that's the rule. I'm interested to see how we'll enforce it locally.
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ljudge
I'm interested in finding out at our annual rules interpretation meeting what the state says we should do. The rule is crystal clear. ONLY the HEAD coach may call a time out. (OK, players can but that's not what we're talking about) So, if the head coach decides to sit in the press box, coach from the roof of the gym, coach from a cherry-picker, or some other apparatus of his choice to give him elevation, he forfeits his right to take advantage of this rule. That's the way it has been spelled out in everything I've read to date, including the rule book.

In the case of a DQ'd coach, there isn't a new head coach so the rule remains the same.

But again, that's the rule. I'm interested to see how we'll enforce it locally.
I agree with you ljudge. If the head coach sits up in the box he won't beable to call timeout, nor any other sideline staff. If the head coach is DQed then the acting head coach will assume those abilities.
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
wrong

Quote:
Originally posted by ump76
I say yes.
NFHS rule 3-5-2a states specifically that it must be the head coach. In addition the press release by NFHS covers the assistant coach scenario. (see url below)

http://www.nfhs.org/scriptcontent/va...on&head=FB.cfm

If the head coach is D'Qd - tough. He should learn to behave.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Re: wrong

Quote:
Originally posted by jumpmaster
Quote:
I say yes.
NFHS rule 3-5-2a states specifically that it must be the head coach. In addition the press release by NFHS covers the assistant coach scenario. (see url below)

Is this what you're referencing?

Quote:
The head coach must be able to clearly be seen by the official in order for the coach to request a time-out. Diehl said that head coaches who operate from the press box cannot designate an assistant to call time-outs. The head coach on the field must request the time-out.
Because, if so, I don't think it expressely addresses the situation of a disqualified head coach (which is certainly different than a coach who is just up in the press box).
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

The interesting part of the rule is the statement that the Head Coach must be clearly seen by the official. On the wing prior to the snap I am going to be watching the LOS not the coach. I intend to clarify this point with the Head Coach in the pregame. If he wants to call a timeout just prior to the snap a player should be giving the signal.
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 06:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chiefgil
NFHS-2004
This year the head coach may call a time-out.

Question:
If the head coach is DQ'd, can an assistant coach call a time-out?
Yes. A responsible adult must be found to act as the new head coach before the game resumes. This new head coach has the ability to call time outs. I found this in the front of the rulebook in the comments about the rules revisions.
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
eatin' crow

Quote:
Originally posted by jumpmaster
Quote:
I say yes.

http://www.nfhs.org/scriptcontent/va...on&head=FB.cfm

I was wrong. After looking in the 04 casebook, this specific instance is covered. Since the head coach is DQ'd, a "new" head coach shall be designated and thus satisfies the requirement of the rule. This is addressed in section 1, section 10.

I apologize for the bad information.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: To back up Mike's assessment, the answer to the original question (head coach DQ'ed--can an assistant call a TO) is technically "no." But...the Federation says that if the head coach is DQ'ed, the game cannot even continue until a responsible person is assigned as the "new" head coach. Once that occurs, the game can continue and this new guy can call TO since he's no longer an assistant but rather the head coach. See the 2004 Case Book pp. 5-6 Situation 10.
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I say yes.
I again say yes.
Old Thu Jul 22, 2004, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Hmmm. That's what I get for what I THOUGHT was a no-brainer reply.