The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 08, 2004, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Question

does anyone have a link to signals used by wing officials? i am looking for unbalanced line, punching off, proper down, etc.

-second question-
when you indicate second down, do you use your index and pointing finger, or your index and pinky finger. Why?
Old Sat May 08, 2004, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

1st Question:
the NF handbook has a list of signals. My crew doesn't use those (i did not either when I was on the wing). For unbalanced, we tap our thigh on the side of the "heavy" side. Also, our U will signal the same side for me (R) i should see it though, and the BJ with a 1/2 upright with his arms, again showing the "heavy" side. Just something we/I have done since I began. I do not know who tahugt it to me though.

2nd Question: I/we use our index and pinky. I feel that it is eaiser to differ from a 1st down. 2 dingers next to each other, or close. This gives room between them, and noone has to worry about making sure. We also add the ring finger for 3rd. Again, it is just something I have always done. Must have seem it somewhere in an NFL/NCAA game and it stuck wiht me.
Old Sun May 09, 2004, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

The most commonly used "unofficial" signals in our area....

Unbalanced line is a hand on the cheek by the wing man with the heavy side

Player closest to the wing man is off the line of scrimmage is an arm straight out to the side. This may or may not be acknowledged by the other wing. If so, some of our guys will tap the bill of their cap, or may touch their opposite shoulder. If both wing men have an arm out, then we're counting to make sure there is only one running back.

All officials who count eleven players on the side they are responsible for counting will give a fist straight out or down. If given up, it may be confused with the fourth down signal.

Since I started officiating football 18 years ago, I always used my index and pinky fingers to indicate second down. I agree with sm_bbcoach that it is easier to differentiate. But I changed this year after noticing I was one of the few remaining that still did it that way.
Old Sun May 09, 2004, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stevesmith
Since I started officiating football 18 years ago, I always used my index and pinky fingers to indicate second down. I agree with sm_bbcoach that it is easier to differentiate. But I changed this year after noticing I was one of the few remaining that still did it that way.
Imagine the response the officials working a Texas Longhorn game would get by using that signal.
Old Sun May 09, 2004, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up R & U signals.

We use these when working at R and U:

Closed fist held shoulder height and slightly away from body: I've counted 11 players on offense.

Holding open hands in front of chest: I've counted 10 or less players on offense.

One hand on top of head: I've counted 12 or more players on offense. Then the referee and I will both nod our heads, then when we see each other reach for our flags, we throw our flags at the same time (or at least try to, LOL).

Rolling fists in front of chest: The offensive team is going for it (not lining up in scrimmage kick formation) on 4th down or going for 2 points on the try.

Making a triangle with our thumbs and fingers and holding this above our heads: The offensive team is going to attempt a field goal or extra point. As the umpire I will also try to make eye contact with the LJ (5 man crew) or the BJ, SJ and FJ while making this signal.

Then of course there are the ready for play signals I use to help remind the Referee what is happening with the clock on the next play: rolling my index finger in a small circle while telling him the next down to let him know that the clock starts on the ready for play whistle. Or making a snapping gesture with my hand to let him know that the clock will start on the snap.

Would love to hear about what else is used out there. In our state, they give us a list of required supplemental signals to be used for the play-offs so we decided just to start using these for the regular season as well.

Almost forgot, we also like to cross our arms across our chests on 4th down to remind us that the clock will stop at the end of the next play.

[Edited by Mike Simonds on May 9th, 2004 at 10:53 PM]
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

The one I wished more people used is where the guy who sees the tee coming in for a FG or a try can let the LJ know so he doesn't have to do a dead sprint to get under his post at the last minute.

I always like to make sure everybody knows that the clock will stop no matter what happens when there's a fourth down play. We don't have a signal, though, I just yell it.
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

We have a mechanics committee who looked at what the book recommends, what other orgs recommended, etc. and has adopted the following...

In all 3 situations the I'm referring to players who are on the LOS.

1) 3 players between you and Snapper on LOS - hand on belt buckle

2) 2 players between you and snapper on LOS - "roll away" same signal as false start

3) 4 players between you and snapper on LOS - "roll to" same signal as false start except roll opposite way (toward you)

Same as #2) when only 1 player between you and snapper we'll roll away and put up the #1. We rarely see that.

Always punch back when closest player is off the line.

Some officials aren't exactly in love with these recommended mechanics but they work well especially for newer guys. Part of the logic was the signal was much more visible to the entire crew and is easier to see from across the field.
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Do you guys punch backwards on a backward pass?
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

I'm not a big fan of "supplemental signals".
Of course at the "U" we don't see many anyways.
If they are really so useful- they should show up in
the mechanics manuals. Till then, if you are doing
your job- they may be "superfluous" mechanics.
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

ABoselli...good question. Our guys are trained to punch back on a backwards pass but in our crew my Referee asks that we don't do it. He doesn't want somebody punching back and another official signaling incomplete and blowing the whistle. We never had a problem doing it that way and it worked but feel more comfortable using the signal. I'm moving to R in 2004 and will probably ask my crews to use the signal.
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ljudge
We have a mechanics committee who looked at what the book recommends, what other orgs recommended, etc. and has adopted the following...

In all 3 situations the I'm referring to players who are on the LOS.

1) 3 players between you and Snapper on LOS - hand on belt buckle

2) 2 players between you and snapper on LOS - "roll away" same signal as false start

3) 4 players between you and snapper on LOS - "roll to" same signal as false start except roll opposite way (toward you)

Same as #2) when only 1 player between you and snapper we'll roll away and put up the #1. We rarely see that.

Always punch back when closest player is off the line.

Some officials aren't exactly in love with these recommended mechanics but they work well especially for newer guys. Part of the logic was the signal was much more visible to the entire crew and is easier to see from across the field.

ljudge:

Isn't this a little to much to be doing in the few seconds from set to snap? What does it look like when you have 4 on your side and the man in the back field? I picture a basketball official calling a walk and pointing "going this way" Does it really matter? The R & U are counting to 11 and should signal with the closed fist. Then you just need to count the backfield. If you have more than 4, itt's an illegal formation. I've worked with guys from other areas that have signals like these. IMO its just too much signaling before the snap.
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by STEVED21
Isn't this a little to much to be doing in the few seconds from set to snap? What does it look like when you have 4 on your side and the man in the back field? I picture a basketball official calling a walk and pointing "going this way" Does it really matter? The R & U are counting to 11 and should signal with the closed fist. Then you just need to count the backfield. If you have more than 4, itt's an illegal formation. I've worked with guys from other areas that have signals like these. IMO its just too much signaling before the snap.
I was thinking the same thing.
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

I don't see these type of signals from D-1 NCAA or NFL why do we need them in high school games.
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Short answer... aside from the widest man off the line punch back, you don't need most of them at all.
Long answer... would involve those that live to change mechanics and I don't intend to ruffle anyones feathers.
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
Short answer... aside from the widest man off the line punch back, you don't need most of them at all.
Why even punch the widest man off?