The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 14, 2004, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Here's UE’s March quiz guys, have at it.
BTW ...I’m excite as all get-out. I get to work my first game with Uncle Ernie as his Umpire this coming Saturday. YIPPIEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. A 4/6 B26. A's unsuccessful field goal attempt is partially blocked. The ball bounces at the B1, is batted by A88 after it crosses the plane of B's goal line and hits the ground in B's end zone. During the down, B56 holds A87 on B's 22.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~

2. A 2/8 B47. A22 fumbles at the B41. A88 is about to recover at the B43 when B56 bats the ball backward and out of bounds at the B38.

3. A 4/14 B26. A's field goal attempt is partially blocked. B33 muffs the kick at the B4. As A44 is about to pick up the ball, B35 kicks the ball at the B2 through B's end zone. During the down, A73 tackled B92 at the B6 to prevent B92 from recovering

4. A 4/8 A40. B41 gives a valid signal and is in position to catch the punt at the B22. A83 runs into B41 just after the ball slips through B41's hands and is on the ground. A83 was close to, but did not impede B41, when B41 muffed the punt. The ball rolls to the B14 where A89 recovers the ball.

5. A 4/14 A48. 2 seconds to go in the 3rd quarter. A's legal forward pass is intercepted by B84 who is advancing at the A24 when the Side Judge inadvertently blows his whistle. A78 committed a holding foul on the A44 prior to the interception. Time expires during the down.

6. A 4/25 B45. The score is tied with 12 seconds remaining in the 4th quarter. A's legal forward pass is completed to A84 who fumbles at the B22. A65 recovers at the B16. B78 roughs the passer. Two seconds remain on the clock

7. Team A scores a TD on the last timed down of the 4th quarter to make the score A26-B27. Team A goes for two points on the try. A throws a legal forward pass into the corner of the end zone. A88 pushes B22 to keep him from intercepting the pass. The pass is deflected and B34 intercepts and runs for a score. During B34's run, A58 throws his helmet. After the down it’s discovered B had 12 men on the field. Or for NCAA ,B65 was offside at the snap.

Old Sun Mar 14, 2004, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James Neil
5. A 4/14 A48. 2 seconds to go in the 3rd quarter. A's legal forward pass is intercepted by B84 who is advancing at the A24 when the Side Judge inadvertently blows his whistle. A78 committed a holding foul on the A44 prior to the interception. Time expires during the down.
I'll take a shot at one to see how rusty I am. This one seems easy, so I'm probaly missing somthing. B will decline the penalty and get the ball on the A24 where the IW occured. Since there is no accepted penalty, flip ends for 4th quarter. 1/10, Clock on the snap.
Old Sun Mar 14, 2004, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:
I'll take a shot at one to see how rusty I am. This one seems easy, so I'm probaly missing somthing. B will decline the penalty and get the ball on the A24 where the IW occured. Since there is no accepted penalty, flip ends for 4th quarter. 1/10, Clock on the snap.
I agree with you on this except for the clock. I’m thinking it should be on the ready because of the IW but I’m not really sure. What do some of you other’s think?
Old Sun Mar 14, 2004, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

what about the Invertent whistle on the interception? If that occours when the period expires by rule u play one untimed down right..if B declines As pent. would B get one untimed down?
Old Sun Mar 14, 2004, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by big will
what about the Invertent whistle on the interception? If that occours when the period expires by rule u play one untimed down right..if B declines As pent. would B get one untimed down?
Great Call "big will"! I missed that thinking we wouldn't extend if B declines the foul.But as you point out NF 3-3-3c says extend for one un-timed down for the IW. B 1/10 @ A-24, no clock
Old Sun Mar 14, 2004, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Under NCAA, Snake eyes original answer would be correct if B wants to keep the ball ("clean hands").

If for some strange reason B didn't want the result of the play, then you would replay the down, after enforcement of the penalty, and with one untimed down to be played in the third quarter.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Great Call "big will"! I missed that thinking we wouldn't extend if B declines the foul.But as you point out NF 3-3-3c says extend for one un-timed down for the IW. B 1/10 @ A-24, no clock
Doh, that's right, forgot about that. Finish the quarter with an untimed down.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here's UE’s March quiz guys, have at it.
BTW ...I’m excite as all get-out. I get to work my first game with Uncle Ernie as his Umpire this coming Saturday. YIPPIEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. A 4/6 B26. A's unsuccessful field goal attempt is partially blocked. The ball bounces at the B1, is batted by A88 after it crosses the plane of B's goal line and hits the ground in B's end zone. During the down, B56 holds A87 on B's 22.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We have an unsuccessful field goal and the play results in a touchback (dead when it crosses the plane of B's goal line and is unsuccessful). B's foul is a PSK foul and will be enforced from the B-20 yard line. B's ball, 1/10 on the B-10 yardline. Clock on the snap.

2. A 2/8 B47. A22 fumbles at the B41. A88 is about to recover at the B43 when B56 bats the ball backward and out of bounds at the B38.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~

End of run (for penalty enforcement) is the B-41. B56 has committed an illegal batting foul. A can accept the results of the play and have 1/10 at the B-38 (unlikely), or they can have the 15 yard batting foul enforced from the end of the run (B-41), 1/10 from the B-26. This is NOT enforced from where the ball went out of bounds. Clock on the snap in either case.

3. A 4/14 B26. A's field goal attempt is partially blocked. B33 muffs the kick at the B4. As A44 is about to pick up the ball, B35 kicks the ball at the B2 through B's end zone. During the down, A73 tackled B92 at the B6 to prevent B92 from recovering

B33's muff will allow whoever ends up in possession of the ball a new series. B35 commits and illegal kicking foul that fits the criteria for PSK. The results of the play is a touchback (ball is still in "kick" status because the kick had not ended). B is going to be offered a choice.

1. Decline A's penalty and have their penalty enforced from the spot of the foul, B's ball 1/10 at the B-1.

2. Accept A's penalty for a double foul and replay 4th down.

Either case, clock on the snap (due to the touchack).

4. A 4/8 A40. B41 gives a valid signal and is in position to catch the punt at the B22. A83 runs into B41 just after the ball slips through B41's hands and is on the ground. A83 was close to, but did not impede B41, when B41 muffed the punt. The ball rolls to the B14 where A89 recovers the ball.

Nothing illegal has occured. A's ball 1/10 at the B-14. Clock on the snap.

Side judge? We don't have such a thing in Illinois high school football. Somebody better check that man's credentials and make sure he isn't going to do the full monty during halftime

Seriously though.....

B will decline A's holding foul and take the results of the play. No matter what B decides, there will be one untimed down to end the 3rd quarter.

6. A 4/25 B45. The score is tied with 12 seconds remaining in the 4th quarter. A's legal forward pass is completed to A84 who fumbles at the B22. A65 recovers at the B16. B78 roughs the passer. Two seconds remain on the clock

To enforce roughing the passer we need to know that the end of the last run is the B-16 and there has been no change of possession. A's ball 1/10 at the B-8, clock on the ready. Even if the clock expires, there WILL be a down played.

7. Team A scores a TD on the last timed down of the 4th quarter to make the score A26-B27. Team A goes for two points on the try. A throws a legal forward pass into the corner of the end zone. A88 pushes B22 to keep him from intercepting the pass. The pass is deflected and B34 intercepts and runs for a score. During B34's run, A58 throws his helmet. After the down it’s discovered B had 12 men on the field. Or for NCAA ,B65 was offside at the snap.

Try ended when B intercepted the pass. Now we must deal with the IP foul on B and the live-ball OPI foul on A.
Pair them as double fouls and replay the try. Next we deal with the personal foul on A (for throwing the helmet). I am assuming he threw it to trip his opponent. Doesn't matter that the ball was dead. He still threw his helmet. Penalize A 15 yards and replay the try from the 18 yard-line. A would be smart to try a kick this time (but who am I to coach).

Let me have it.

Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Is this play covered under loose ball play?...double foul replay the down from the previous spot?
why do we bean bag fumbles? Isnt that the spot were the run ends for pent. accessment.. run ended on B22 yd line?
We had two live ball fouls on the play-whistle blows the ball dead on the interception...no foul on the helmet throw it shouldn't have even gone that far..
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Is this play covered under loose ball play?...double foul replay the down from the previous spot?"

Last year this would have been a double foul with no option for B.This year B is given the choice of declining A’s foul and having theirs enforced using PSK criteria if they want to keep the ball.
"why do we bean bag fumbles? Isnt that the spot were the run ends for pent. accessment.. run ended on B22 yd line"?

I believe A65 recovery at the B-16 is considered the last run for enforcement purposes for roughing the passer.

I forgot to tell you all that this play is for NCAA and Oregon officials only.
(Oregon is experimenting this year with allowing B to score during a try down)

We had two live ball fouls on the play-whistle blows the ball dead on the interception...no foul on the helmet throw it shouldn't have even gone that far..
Old Wed Mar 17, 2004, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

Is this play covered under loose ball play?...double foul replay the down from the previous spot?

Mr Neil has it correct for this year. B has options

why do we bean bag fumbles? Isnt that the spot were the run ends for pent. accessment.. run ended on B22 yd line?

The rule is end of last run if there is no change of posession and a runner is a player in possession of the ball. For enforcing roughing the passer, the only time we'd go back to the spot of the fumble is if the ball rolled out of bounds or an IW was whistled.

You are correct it should never get this far, but even if I sound my whistle and a player still throws his helmet to trip an opponent, I would consider this a personal foul and flag it as such.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2004, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
[B][i]

You are correct it should never get this far, but even if I sound my whistle and a player still throws his helmet to trip an opponent, I would consider this a personal foul and flag it as such.
I don't know about this one Mike. All Uncle Ernie says is that he throws his helmet during the run. This might be out of frustration or practice for his bowling league. Whatever the case I’m thinking all we have here is failure too properly where his equipment. I think I’d bring the ball back and have them just replay the down. Then I’m looking for Uncle Ernie to kick his a$$ for making me come up with a ruling for this screwy play

Old Wed Mar 17, 2004, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

You could also nail him with a USC.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2004, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: I know I'm late, but here's my thoughts...In some cases, I even stated the unlikely, ridiculous choices that a team might make. This, I believe, helps us understand the full implications of fouls and their penalties. Note: I think #3 is a great teaching play. Presents a really tough choice for B.

RULING: Touchback. B’s foul is enforceable under PSK. PSK spot is B’s 20. Result: B, 1-10 from B’s 10.

RULING: Illegal bat by B56. Result (Play): A’s ball, 1-10 from B’s 38. Result (Penalty): A, 1-10 from B’s 26.

3. A 4/14 B26. A's field goal attempt is partially blocked. B33 muffs the kick at the B4. As A44 is about to pick up the ball, B35 kicks the ball at the B2 through B's end zone. During the down, A73 tackled B92 at the B6 to prevent B92 from recovering.
RULING: B’s choice: (a) refuse the penalty for A’s hold. Then penalize B (PSK) for illegally kicking the ball. Result—B, 1-10 from B’s 1. Or (b) accept the penalty for A’s hold. Result—A replays 4th down. Tough choice for B…either accept horrible field position, or give A a second chance at the FG!

RULING: A, 1-10 from B’s 14.

RULING: (Play-inadvertent whistle) B, 1-10 at A’s 24 – or – B can have A replay the down. In either case, an untimed down is required. (Penalty--unlikely) A, 4-24 from A’s 38. Again, an untimed down is required.

6. A 4/25 B45. The score is tied with 12 seconds remaining in the 4th quarter. A's legal forward pass is completed to A84 who fumbles at the B22. A65 recovers at the B16. B78 roughs the passer. Two seconds remain on the clock.
RULING: For Federation, if A65’s recovery is on the ground and simultaneously causes the ball to become dead, it is not considered a new related run. Therefore penalize B from B’s 22. Result: A, 1-10 from B’s 11. Clock on ready. If time expires before the subsequent snap, play an untimed down.

RULING: FEDERATION: Double foul (OPI on A; IP on B). Official should have sounded the whistle on B’s possession. Assuming he didn’t (an inadvertent non-whistle!) ignore B’s score, replay the try after penalizing A for A58’s USC. A tries from B’s 18. NCAA: Double foul - - replay the try. Need to let the play go after B’s interception. Since B’s foul was prior to the interception, negate the score. A re-tries from B’s 18 after enforcing A58’s USC.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2004, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
[i]

I don't know about this one Mike. All Uncle Ernie says is that he throws his helmet during the run. This might be out of frustration or practice for his bowling league. Whatever the case I’m thinking all we have here is failure too properly where his equipment. I think I’d bring the ball back and have them just replay the down. Then I’m looking for Uncle Ernie to kick his a$$ for making me come up with a ruling for this screwy play

I was reading too much into it. I've been caught.