The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 06, 2004, 02:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
I have just been put onto a varsity crew for next year, at the position of Umpire. I am a pretty big guy who played line in HS a couple of years back, so I have taken enough hits to be somewhat used to it.

What I was wondering is if there any other U's out there that have some words of wisdom; especially about getting out of the way of the inevitable Offensive Backfield train.

Also I want to here some good stories about partners, yourselves, getting knocked around pretty good.

That's about it, I look forward to some good ones!!
Old Sat Mar 06, 2004, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigGref
I have just been put onto a varsity crew for next year, at the position of Umpire. I am a pretty big guy who played line in HS a couple of years back, so I have taken enough hits to be somewhat used to it.

What I was wondering is if there any other U's out there that have some words of wisdom; especially about getting out of the way of the inevitable Offensive Backfield train.

Also I want to here some good stories about partners, yourselves, getting knocked around pretty good.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~
My main position is wing, but I also work U quite a bit. I have found to mix it up as far as starting positioning. Some guys set up dead ahead of the center, but I am a step or 2 to either side. Being able to read the play helps BIGTIME! You having been a lineman should be able to figure out at least the direction the play is going and adjust from there.
One thing I hate is when the backs use the U as a screen or cutback item, things can get scary with LB's and DB's hunting for heads from your backside and you get caught up. Quick slant passes are crazy sometimes, too. Almost got my head taken off and I am only 5'8".
I have actually been nailed more on the wings than in the middle. The one hard one from the middle was a kid coming in late from behind me, getting shoved from behind right into the back of my legs. I did not see it, but the BJ did and flagged the A player for illegal block in the back as I ended up on top of the kid, just sitting there thinking, "I just got clipped".
It is a fun position to work, kinda like having the dish for baseball................have fun
Old Sat Mar 06, 2004, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry to break off topic, but how do you get hit more in the wings than U? That's confusing.

Anyways one NFL game the U totally disappeared in the play, just covered by players and it wans't till everyone cleared out that you could see him. Move quick, get ready to dodge players and move up on the LOS on pass.
Old Sat Mar 06, 2004, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Sorry to break off topic, but how do you get hit more in the wings than U? That's confusing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
Being the fleet-footed one that I am, I work the wings way more. Crowded sidelines, not nessesarily getting hit like U will, but I have been too tight on plays near the sideline when the whole pile comes crashing at me. My bad on those, I did not let play stay ahead;o
Old Sat Mar 06, 2004, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

that's why you need a good "get-back-coach" to get everyone out of the way on the sidelines, more breathing room!
Old Sat Mar 06, 2004, 09:03pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Well, your first instinct when someone is coming at you is to get out of the way. Instead, as U, you have to stay still and let the back run around you. If you move and he cuts anticipating you will stay still, you could be leading the crew in forced fumbles.
Old Sat Mar 06, 2004, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
that's why you need a good "get-back-coach" to get everyone out of the way on the sidelines, more breathing room!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh sure!!! We all know that works for the whole game First season I was working the chains. Told them to drop and run if play is coming. Well, they did niether...sticks were just angled away from sideline, kinda like a low hurdle.......I cleared the obstacle, then "shared" my feelings......
Old Sun Mar 07, 2004, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chris s
Quote:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh sure!!! We all know that works for the whole game First season I was working the chains. Told them to drop and run if play is coming. Well, they did niether...sticks were just angled away from sideline, kinda like a low hurdle.......I cleared the obstacle, then "shared" my feelings......
Been there, done that. The key is to let the play get ahead of you, then over any coaches that get in the way on the sideline..hehe.
Old Sun Mar 07, 2004, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Rich is right. If you see a hole open up in front of you don't move. Let the play go around you because if you do move the play will go over you! The only time I've gotten knocked over at U was when I thought I could get out of the way. I could have dropped the kid for a short gain but I let myself go down. As it was the coach was yelling that I should stay out of the way. I must not have slowed the kid down too much because he still picked up about 35 yards before he was caught from behind.

[Edited by Matt-MI on Mar 7th, 2004 at 07:02 PM]
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Matt's post about "If you see the hole open..." is right on the money. Here's a story about what can happen if you don't see the hole open--or if you see it too late. I'm regularly a wing or BJ. I was working the U spot as a replacement in a varsity game. Play flow goes to the offense's left--my right. I take a short step to my left and turn right to watch the action at the point of attack. Out of the corner of my eye, I see an offensive lineman coming back toward the right (my) side of the field . I turn just in time to see him trapping the defensive end. Uh-oh! And guess who's standing smack dab in the middle of the real point of attack with no place to go??!! Well, the runner grabs me by the front of my shirt (at the zipper) to keep from knocking me over. He's running full tilt, and I'm backpedalling like hell as about five defenders hit us. I end up on the bottom of the pile. Wind knocked out of me, two cracked ribs, a broken pair of glasses, and a bloody nose. I finished the game, but couldn't sit up for the next two weeks because of the ribs. Lesson learned...look out for counter plays!
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Cool

U for 34 years here---
Rich F is correct about those plays
where you have a very quick running
back and in a blink of an eye he is
right in front of you------ do not move !!
I've seen the runner's break a smile when
they see you there as a blocking "post"
for them.
Watch out for the quick slant passes---
I've never been hit, but have had a few
buzz by my ear.
I'm a big man (6'3"/270) and usually have
players bounce off me- but the bruises
seem to last longer as you get older !
One other important bit of advice----
do not bend down to pick up the ball
too quickly-- a player may not see you
and nail you with his helmet when he jumps up !
Use your voice to prevent "extra activity"
if the players know you are there, they are
less likely to try any "funny" stuff.
Keep the flag in your pocket for the BIG
things -- and have fun !!
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Yup, I been hit with a couple of slant passes too. One receiver complained I wasn't moving close enough to the line after the snap. It seems they wanted to "use" me as that blocking post that SWFL mentioned. The coach asked me I could move quicker!
Old Tue Mar 09, 2004, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Backs

Quote:

Rich is right. If you see a hole open up in front of you don't move.

Do any of you pregame this when you meet with coaches/players b4 the game?

Do you Us have any type of meeting with the backs to tell them if they are making cuts around you that you are not going to move? Or does that just make you an extra blocker in thier minds.
Old Tue Mar 09, 2004, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't tell players or coaches your plans. This would probably just lead to trouble when a coach asks you why you moved when you said you wouldn't.
Old Tue Mar 09, 2004, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Mike, they don't need to know. And if you block one of their players or knock over over their back then too bad, you're part of the field.