The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I will be a first year high school football official this upcoming fall, and would like any suggestions on workout ideas or tips that may improve my officiating.

I currently lift weights and run, but would definitely appreciate any ideas that are more football-oriented.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Nothing really specifically specilly since you already run and lift weights. Just keep jogging, that's really all you need.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 10:32pm
Ref Ump Welsch

I might add short spurts of running, i.e. wind sprints. As for other preparations, keep reading the postings on this website. Learn from those who've been around. In addition to this website, check out the National Fed's website related to football and other officiating websites. Also, if your officials association offers clinics or camps, GRAB THE TIME TO GO TO THEM!!!!
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

I agree, running and lifting should be sufficient. I was a first year official last year, and had started working out in Feb, the winter before. I spend about an hour, to an hour and half each day. About half lifting and half on a cardio machine (tred mill or elliptical). Seemed to be fine. I do agree the wind sprints probably would be a good addition. I can't wait for next season.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Don't laugh...

I'm going to suggest that you join a step aerobics class: the moves will exercise the critical hip, thigh, hamstring and calf areas while giving your heart a good workout. Also, you develop balance and coordination at the same time. To me its the best all-around athletic conditioning exercise there is. The classes I attend at the YMCA also do toning with weights and push-ups, sit-ups, etc. thrown in for good measure.