The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 21, 2004, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Football/Lacrosse cleats are the same, but heres a thread I posted: http://www.officialforum.com/thread/11826 . So maybe you can help out too. Anyways I'm lookin for some shoes.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Question What kind of surfaces do you work on?

Just curious but what is the average weather and playing conditions like in the location where you officiate?

I started using the New Balance 250 mid-cuts (great ankle support). They are wonderful on grass and great on field-turf. Very comfortable to wear for long games. Traction and lateral ankle and foot support is great (they can actually be used for cross-training and working out). And like all New Balance shoes they are built to last: I predict at least 2 or 3 season's worth.

I have an old pair of Spot-Bilt shoes (Stud is what they are called I believe) that I use on rainy and muddy turf.

Over here our fall weather is mainly dry and warm during August and September. Then during October and November its mainly dry and cooler with an occasional light rain.

So the cross-training type shoes like New Balance work great for me with our normal weather conditions here.

Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

I have some Nike's that I use on Turf but am looking for cleats. I will take a look at the spotbilts.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2004, 06:01am
Official Forum Member

Spot-bilt

There is a new version of the "Stud", which you can see here:
http://www.honigs.com/detail.asp?Cat=2&Sub=9&Item=825

But the old one is still around:
http://www.honigs.com/detail.asp?Cat=2&Sub=9&Item=534

I have both, and I think the old one felt more solid, but the new one has better cushioning.

Old Fri Jan 23, 2004, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I used the Reeboks NFL shoes that the NFl officials used. They ran about $60 but I loved them. I used in mud, grass, turf, nex-turf and loved them. Plus Reebok warrenties them from "unusual" problems. I know of someone that had the inside of the heel wear out down to the heel support and Reebok replaced free. I also owned spot builts from the previous 2 years. Held up great but no ankle support. Not as comfortable in multi game sets (little kid games where you may be on your feet calling for 4 hours or so)

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2004, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Are the Reeboks available in all-black? The NFL ones have the Reebok logo on the side.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2004, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

That's a good question because I like the look of them and definitely interested in them. It'd be a lot better without that logo.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2004, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

I use a pair of NIKE cleats, mid-cut (just over ankle) new this year. They worked great, gave good footing (only went down once, in a mudder that the QB felt the need to drill the FB at my head). I had trouble finding the right size (14) before I bought these, and prefer to try shoes on, so I didn't order from Honigs. Only issue was needed lot of cleat scraping during wet games (common for all cleats) and also had the Nike Logo on them (easily handled with black permanent marker though ). Relatively inexpensive ($39.00) in GB, WI.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

The Reeboks do come in near all black except for a small white REEBOK on them. I have seen them offered by honig's among others.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 03:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Yes and Honigs carries them. That is where I got mine and they just got some back in stock.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 05:40am
Official Forum Member

http://www.honigs.com/detail.asp?Cat=2&Sub=9&Item=829