The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

My friend and I are having this debate about what is legal if an attempted field goal is short. He claims that as long as the ball does not go out of the endzone on the fly, anybody on the opposing team can return it for a possible touchdown. My stance is that this is treated like a PAT...if the defender gets possession, then the play is whistled dead. What is the official rule on this? Thanks!
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Your friend is right, you're wrong.

A unsuccessful FGA is nothing more than a punt.

As long as it doesn't break the goal line plane, it can be returned by R.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Your friend is right, you're wrong.

A unsuccessful FGA is nothing more than a punt.

As long as it doesn't break the goal line plane, it can be returned by R.
That's NFHS, but I THINK in NFL it can be returned even if it does cross the goal line plane. Anyone want to confirm it?
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

Happened a couple of years ago in an NFL game at the end of a half. I don't recall what game.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

I assume the question pertains to NFL rules, but I almost sure that the ball would have to be on the gound in the EZ (untouched in the field of play) before it becomes dead. Just like under NCAA rules.
Otherwise, team-B can run it out if they want. May not be a wise move as they probably will get a better spot to take over per rules for unsuccessful field goal attempts
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

In the NFL, as long as no one from R touches it beyond the NZ, it reverts to the spot of the actual kick. If a member of R touches it beyond the NZ, whoever possesses it after the touch is awarded a new series. If R touches the ball beyond the NZ and it subsequently goes OB, it is R's ball at the OB spot. If K recovers the ball in the end zone after R has touched it beyond the NZ, it is a TD.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
If a member of R touches it beyond the NZ, whoever possesses it after the touch is awarded a new series.
I wonder if Leon Lett knows of this rule.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 10:32am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by asmosley
My friend and I are having this debate about what is legal if an attempted field goal is short. He claims that as long as the ball does not go out of the endzone on the fly, anybody on the opposing team can return it for a possible touchdown. My stance is that this is treated like a PAT...if the defender gets possession, then the play is whistled dead. What is the official rule on this? Thanks!
Canadian Response:

In our game, a missed FGA is treated as a punt. Of course, rule implications is that the restraining zone is still in effect.

Although it's not difficult to work into one's game, newbie officials sometimes forget this when the endzone comes into play. Offside K players still need to "give yards" to the R team, even when the ball is recovered in the EZ.

If the ball is recovered in the EZ, and

(i) the play becomes dead in the EZ (by tackle, ball OOB or player with ball going OOB), a rouge is scored, worth 1 point. Next scrimmage: 35 yard line. (This is a a big difference from the rules you're probably used to.)

(ii) the player gets out of the EZ but less than the 20, the next scrimmage point is the 20 yard line. Some teams will "give up the point" to gain the extra 15 yard of field.

However, in Canada, the uprights are located on the goal line and if a FG is short, then is obviously bounced in the field of play. In any event, the ball is live and may be returned for a TD.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Field goal return

This is definitely an option in the NFL. Pittsburgh fielded a short FG attempt in the end zone and had a pretty long return last week against Baltimore at the end of regulation.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

The point is that the original poster felt that a FGA was the same as a try, that the ball became dead when it was apparent the try was unsuccessful. We know that's not true. It can be advanced.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Field goal return

Quote:
Originally posted by jfurdell
This is definitely an option in the NFL. Pittsburgh fielded a short FG attempt in the end zone and had a pretty long return last week against Baltimore at the end of regulation.
I was just about to say that. If they had not returned it they wouldn't have gotten a playoff so they tried to return it.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2004, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

An earlier post mentioned NFL rules re punts and field goal trys going into the end zone. I had a bizarre ending to a Mason-Dixon Football League playoff game this past season. This is a semi-pro league played under NFL rules. Regulation time ended in a tie. First overtime , still tied. Second overtime with a little over two minutes left, team A attempts a field goal which is partially blocked. The ball bounces into the end zone where a player of team B tries to pick it up but muffs it and team A player falls on it for the winning touchdown, four hours and thirty-five minutes after kick-off.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

The aforementioned NFL play happened on a Monday Night during the 2002 season. Denver tried a very long field goal, only because it was the last play of the 1st half and it was kicked by Jason Elam. Baltimore's Chris McAllsiter caught the short kick 2 yards in front of the goalpost and brought it out while Denver stood around. Ray Lewis leveled a devistating block to spring his returner free for a 108 yard TD return of a missed FG - the longest play in NFL history.
The old Baltimore Colts in the 1950's used to have a tall receiver, namded RC Owens, who was famous for catching "Alley Oop" passes, ala Randy Moss, that were thrown up high - for grabs. A few times, he was stationed in front of the goal posts on opponents long FG attempts to return missed kicks. A very few times, he was able to jump up and knock the ball to keep it from going over the crossbar - a "blocked" FG. However, now, NFL rules prohibit this practice. A defender could, however, bat a FG attempt (from his end zone) over the crossbar, and the kick would be good. I don't know why someone would do this, but in theory, one could kick a very long successful FG if the defense "helped" him get the ball over the goal in this manner.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Found this wrinkle...

First of all, I would like to thank everyone for weighing in on this. After reading all the posts, I was about to acknowledge to my friend that he, indeed, was correct. However, I came across this play by play of the Monday Night game in question...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playby...meId=220930033

This is the espn play by play summary. According to the summary, the FGA by Elam at the end of the 1st half was BLOCKED. In my original post, I had asked what would happen if it was caught short on the fly in the EZ. This would be without any assistance from the defense (tips, "Alley Oops" ala RC Owens, or clear cut blocks). ESPN could have logged it as a block erroneously. Does anyone know where old recaps could be found of games besides ESPN? The date of the game was September 30, 2002. Thanks for all of your help!
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

If it was touched in or behind the neutral zone by the defense, the touching is ignored (not relevant to any ensuing act by either team). If it goes beyond the neutral zone after being touched by the defense, the same rules apply. If it stays behind the neutral zone and is recovered by the kicking team, they may advance it. If they reach the line to gain, they are awarded a new series of downs.

If one of the defense got a hand on it, I guess it is (partially) blocked for stat purposes. A kick can get touched by the defense and still score, though.