View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 10:32am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by asmosley
My friend and I are having this debate about what is legal if an attempted field goal is short. He claims that as long as the ball does not go out of the endzone on the fly, anybody on the opposing team can return it for a possible touchdown. My stance is that this is treated like a PAT...if the defender gets possession, then the play is whistled dead. What is the official rule on this? Thanks!
Canadian Response:

In our game, a missed FGA is treated as a punt. Of course, rule implications is that the restraining zone is still in effect.

Although it's not difficult to work into one's game, newbie officials sometimes forget this when the endzone comes into play. Offside K players still need to "give yards" to the R team, even when the ball is recovered in the EZ.

If the ball is recovered in the EZ, and

(i) the play becomes dead in the EZ (by tackle, ball OOB or player with ball going OOB), a rouge is scored, worth 1 point. Next scrimmage: 35 yard line. (This is a a big difference from the rules you're probably used to.)

(ii) the player gets out of the EZ but less than the 20, the next scrimmage point is the 20 yard line. Some teams will "give up the point" to gain the extra 15 yard of field.

However, in Canada, the uprights are located on the goal line and if a FG is short, then is obviously bounced in the field of play. In any event, the ball is live and may be returned for a TD.