The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 08:03pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Hi,

Conference finals: Kukar and Coleman. Cool.

Superbowl prediction: Nemmers.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

My guess

Super Bowl -

1- Hoculi
2- Carey
3- Grier

Nemmers hasn't worked a playoff game, although he was an alternate. I don't think the NFL is going to let a crew sit 5 weeks between the end of the season and the SB, and then put them on the field.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Jan 18th, 2004 at 07:20 PM]
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

please not hochuli. jmho.

mighty
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

What's wrong with Ed?
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

this guy wants more on air time than the players. ever notice that he has to explain everything more often than the next guy. to me he over exerts himself to be in the limelight. they have always told me that the best officials are the ones that go unnoticed. thats not the case with "mr.benchpress" hochuli. sorry, but jmho.

mighty

Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 08:37pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I'm really sorry to hear you say that, mighty.

I think Ed Hochuli is the best R in the NFL.

His physical size has no reason to be referred to as "mr. benchpress." His reasons for being fit and healthy are his and his alone.

And I think you're right: Ed proves that even though an official /is/ noticed, they are still among the best.

Ed was the alternate last year. Does that affect his eligibility this year? Grier and Carey both had good seasons.

Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

A short article in Sports Illustrated in December tagged Grier and another Referee (I can't recall now which one) as being the two crews that throw the most flags. Wonder if the league puts any stock in that kind of statistic?

A comment by the Fox announcers leads me to believe that the officials, "let the guys play" more in the playoffs. The point was made on a pass play where there appeared to be quite a bit of contact (i.e., holding) on the part of the defensive back.

My personal take is that there were a number of plays in the Indianapolis - New England game in which the defense seemed to be initiating a lot of contact on the receivers. I'm not an expert on NFL rules so it's just my subjective observation.

My vote is for Kukar in the Super Bowl with Ed as the alternate. Yeah, Ed likes to "explain" a lot of the calls, but there's a part of me that likes that.

Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mightyvol
this guy wants more on air time than the players. ever notice that he has to explain everything more often than the next guy. to me he over exerts himself to be in the limelight. they have always told me that the best officials are the ones that go unnoticed. thats not the case with "mr.benchpress" hochuli. sorry, but jmho.

mighty
Actually, what makes him and Carey so much better than many other officials is that they explain situations so well. His explanations usually correct the misinformation that the commentators give, which is a great thing. If I'm not mistaken, the NFL encourages this.

He's already on the biggest officiating stage in the world. He doesn't need any further attempt to be seen, it happens naturally.

Would you like him better if he was 40 pounds overweight and was so scared he couldn't turn on the mic?
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Just echoing some of the other kudos on Hochuli. The League wants them doing just what he does, and what he seems to do more comfortably and naturally than others. Being an attorney has no doubt made him a better communicator than most (to say nothing of the fact he started out as a back judge, the position generally held by the more intelligent among us).
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 03:50am
Official Forum Member

Hochuli or Carey are the ones I'd like to see working the SB. I can't believe you don't like the fact that Ed likes to explain things, I think its great that he explains things instead of just saying what the result is.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Kukar will probably not be the Super Bowl ref because he failed to call a foul on the play that injured McNabb. It was reported that the ref or defender didn't realize McNabb was down by contact. That is irrelavant. NFL rule 12, Sec. 2, Personal Fouls, article 8(d) states: "running or diving into, or throwing the body against or on a ball carrier who falls or slips to the ground untouched and makes no attempt to advance, before or after the ball is dead" is unnecessary roughness. All the defender had to do was touch McNabb.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Kukar and Coleman worked conference championships. You won't see either in the SB.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Floyd
Kukar will probably not be the Super Bowl ref because he failed to call a foul on the play that injured McNabb. It was reported that the ref or defender didn't realize McNabb was down by contact. That is irrelavant. NFL rule 12, Sec. 2, Personal Fouls, article 8(d) states: "running or diving into, or throwing the body against or on a ball carrier who falls or slips to the ground untouched and makes no attempt to advance, before or after the ball is dead" is unnecessary roughness. All the defender had to do was touch McNabb.
I agree- blown call on that play. But perhaps not Kukar's fault.

I imagine that the league gives the officials directive to "not become part of the game" in the playoffs, which sometimes has just the opposite effect.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure about that....

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Floyd
Kukar will probably not be the Super Bowl ref because he failed to call a foul on the play that injured McNabb. It was reported that the ref or defender didn't realize McNabb was down by contact. That is irrelavant.
Bob, not sure I agree with you on your analysis of this play. Who reported that he was down by contact? The announcers? If both the R and the defender didn't realize he was down by contact, then maybe it was too marginal to call at regular speed. And just because McNabb got hurt is no reason to reconsider the call.

The first time I saw it, I also thought that the QB was down by contact before the defender hit him. But, as I saw the replay from a different angle (and they only showed this angle one time), it appeared that he wasn't down by contact at least to me. The defender could probably could have let up, but I didn't view it as a flagrant hit. The injury was partly caused by McNabb's movement with his feet in the air and tumbling backwards.

I don't think this would kick Kukar out of contention if he was considered for the big game.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

My understanding is that the Conference championship officials came from the wild card round and the SB officiating crew will come from the Divisional Round. That limits it to Hochuli, Austin, Carey, and Carollo. However, Carollo had last year's SB, so he's out - you can't have it in consecutive years.

I also understand that the SB crew will be the highest rated crew from the regular season, so the post season games don't count. I would assume that it is between Hochuli and Carey. I think Hochuli is more likely because Carey's crew throws the most flags of any crew and I don't think the NFL would want that in the SB.

[Edited by tempestos on Jan 19th, 2004 at 01:05 PM]