The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

I just thought of one other thing complicates this as well. The general rule is that you can't have the superbowl in back-to-back seasons. However, the NFL went to a crew concept for this year's post-season. As a result, members of Hochuli's crew and Austin's crew worked last year's SB. Are they disqualified - I assume not. And we know Carollo was the R in last year's SB. Thus, the only crew from the divisional round without a member in last year's SB is Carey's. I wonder if that makes any difference.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

It wasn't Carey's crew. It was Anderson's crew with Carey as Ref since Anderson was a first year ref. Hochulli's crew will have the SB.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by STEVED21
It wasn't Carey's crew. It was Anderson's crew with Carey as Ref since Anderson was a first year ref.
Correct. Anderson was an alternate for the game.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

I would like to see Mike Carey. He's my personal favorite to watch and it doesn't hurt that he's a local. ;-)

I'm surprised that so many on this forum buy in to the belief that they call playoff games differently in the NFL than regular season games.

Mike Pereira made a comment last week that they absolutely *don't* ask officials to call the playoffs any differently. He attributes any difference in the number of flags to the fact that the best, most disciplined teams are the ones playing in those games and the best crews are the ones officiating them. Whether he was speaking the truth or saying that for the cameras I guess is up to you. I have no proof either way but that reasoning makes more sense to me.

It doesn't surprise me that commentators would claim the officiating is different and that the general public would believe that but I am really shocked at the number of officials on this forum who buy in to it.

I feel like I have to ask the obvious question... Do you (or would you) call YOUR championship games differently? Do the leagues or associations ask you to call things differently?

-Sean---
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

I don't buy into for myself and I don't think the NFL buys into it for themselves. I recall a few years back when Jerry Seeman ran the officiating and he used to be famous for making the comment about "Super Bowl calls". He wanted guys making calls in the regular season that they would make in the Super Bowl. I don't know if that philosophy has changed but I doubt it.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Like Sean said, Mike Pereira does not tell his crews to not call stuff because its playoffs. He did say there was one exception and thats for USCs during dead ball periods, he said that he wants his crews to get in and keep the players apart and not have to throw any penalties like that. THat is the only difference he said. And he also said Kukar has a better chance ice fishing in minnesota than being at the superbowl.

Lets go Ed!
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

mike carey and tony corrente are by far the best R's in the league. carey and corrente dont put themselves on a pesestal like hochuli. i think the whole nation would love to not see hochuli on the set come feb.1st. mr ego maniac needs to take a backseat and let the 2 guys that are down to earth take center stage. if you dont like my opinions about hochuli than thats tought. dont read it. thats my opinion and im sticking to it.

mighty
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 06:21am
Official Forum Member

I think Hochuli is in the top 3 of NFL officials. I would also put Mike Carey in that group along with Kukar. Their mechanics seem first rate and they are all very decisive with their calls. They also do a great job of "selling" calls made by their crew. They hustle, yet always pay attention. Kukar got a great assignment with the NFC championship and I will be happy with either Carey or Hochuli in the SB. However, I assume it will go to Hochuli because he has the better crew. If you look at playoff history, several of his guys usually either get a championship game or the SB. Since this year, they are going with crew assignments over the all-star team, the overall crew score would seem to be more important and I think Hochuli's will probably beat Carey's.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Is there a site to check out the details about each of the NFL crews?
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Here's one: http://members.tripod.com/refereestats/
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Thanks. I will check it out .
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
I think Ed H's crew gets the nod this year for the Super Bowl. I think his crew has been the most consistent crew the entire post season.

On another note, I was sorry as well to read somebody's earlier opinion of Ed on this forum. That is what they are trained to do when having to give a explanation for a call.

I would be willing bet your opinion of Ed would change if you were coaching and he was working your game?
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Ed is a professional

Quote:
Originally posted by mightyvol
mike carey and tony corrente are by far the best R's in the league. carey and corrente dont put themselves on a pesestal like hochuli. i think the whole nation would love to not see hochuli on the set come feb.1st. mr ego maniac needs to take a backseat and let the 2 guys that are down to earth take center stage. if you dont like my opinions about hochuli than thats tought. dont read it. thats my opinion and im sticking to it.

mighty
Mighty, you might want to check out who is putting himself on a pedestal!

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. My opinion (and I think shared by most on this board) is that Ed Hochuli is a great official. Is it only his explanations that you don't like?

The NFL encourages thier R's to provide explanations on the rulings to help the fans (and most announcers who are clueless) understand the rules. This is in contrast to R's at the collegiate and high school levels where officials are best when invisible to the fans. The difference is that the NFL is as much entertainment as football, whereas the lower levels are very little entertainment.

Mr. Hochuli is proficient at explaining his crew's calls and does the officiating community at large a service to be viewed as professional. Sorry you don't agree.

Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

I'm sorry but I don't want to be sitting on the edge of my chair wondering what the heck they just called and why, it helps fans who are new understand and learn the game better. I like explanations, I wish all refs would give good explanations.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2004, 02:12am
Official Forum Member

I absolutely believe the officials in the conference championships (both) were "letting them play". I don't know if it was directed by the league or if the individual officials/crews made a conscious or subconscious decision to not make certain calls. I do know that DBs were flagged consistently all season for holding that was never called in the conference championships. I don't disagree with the practice, but it definitely happens.