The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 04, 2004, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

So you observe the offense, player A, with his hands pushing on the back of the defense, player B?

The way I understand the rule is that unless you obseve the actual original contact, then you did not see a penalty.

Because, if the original contact by the offense, is inside of the defenders frame, and the defender turns to chase the ball, but original contact has been maintained by the offense, then the block can legally continue, even though it is now in the back.

Or, as I have observed in little league, a defender will turn his back to an offensive player just as the block is being made. Why did he turn? I don't know, but it happens all of the time. No penalty here either.

So my question is, don't we have to see initial contact to know whether or not the contact is illegal?

Old Sun Jan 04, 2004, 02:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltaRef
So my question is, don't we have to see initial contact to know whether or not the contact is illegal?
Yes we do.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2004, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltaRef
So you observe the offense, player A, with his hands pushing on the back of the defense, player B?

The way I understand the rule is that unless you obseve the actual original contact, then you did not see a penalty.

Because, if the original contact by the offense, is inside of the defenders frame, and the defender turns to chase the ball, but original contact has been maintained by the offense, then the block can legally continue, even though it is now in the back.

Or, as I have observed in little league, a defender will turn his back to an offensive player just as the block is being made. Why did he turn? I don't know, but it happens all of the time. No penalty here either.

Let me run this by.

Offensive player places hands on back of defender to initiate a block. He suddenly realizes what he is doing is illegal and removes hands into a surrender position, as if, he didn't do it. And, in reality, he did not.

The defender continues to play.

No advantage has been gained. Football is a contact sport and a hand on the back should not affect the play.

However, the official observing the initial contact did not see the result of the contact. But, the trailing official did.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 04:22pm
VaASAump

Sorry, a little late with this response, but want to see if I'm in the same field.

What I noticed in this long thread is that wedickinson never said what he saw, much less why he waved the flag off. I was always taught that unless you see the originating contact, then you shouldn't be calling an "Illegal to the Back". When I first started officiating, I remember making this "rookie" mistake. And what I remember best is my WH came and asked me what did I have. When I told him "Clipping" (before rule change), he asked me where the originating contact was. It was then that I replied "uhhh, didn't see it." He then told me he was going to wave the flag off since 1. did not affect the play and 2. we don't know if we had a legal or illegal block. The point was that at least he told me why he waved the flag off and didn't do in a manner that "embarrased" me.

I am very grateful to work with a WH who doesn't let ego get in the way. I learn alot with him.