The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 26, 2003, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Was daydreaming at the computer today and came up with these two plays. NFHS rules

Third and goal for A on B's 4 yard line with seconds left, tie game. A is out of time outs. A1 runs for a TD, but there is holding by A2 at the 4 yard line. There is :01 left. B accepts the penalty. Third and goal from the 14, when does the clock start?

The clock is running A is out of time outs, A trails by 6. On third and goal A1 is downed at B's one yard line. The clock is running and A is in a no huddle offense. A2 snaps the ball with :03 left, but the referee hasn't declared the ball ready for play. What happens next?

My season is over and I'm in withdrawal!:-)
Old Wed Nov 26, 2003, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

1. Snap

2. Delay of game penalty; on the RFP if you believe the team is atempting to "conserve or consume" time - quite likely in this case.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2003, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FredFan7
Was daydreaming at the computer today and came up with these two plays. NFHS rules

Third and goal for A on B's 4 yard line with seconds left, tie game. A is out of time outs. A1 runs for a TD, but there is holding by A2 at the 4 yard line. There is :01 left. B accepts the penalty. Third and goal from the 14, when does the clock start?
because the down ended in the EZ , start the clock on the snap.

Quote:

The clock is running A is out of time outs, A trails by 6. On third and goal A1 is downed at B's one yard line. The clock is running and A is in a no huddle offense. A2 snaps the ball with :03 left, but the referee hasn't declared the ball ready for play. What happens next?

Blow it dead . Back it up 5 yards. Put the 3 seconds back on the clock just in case it was started. Blow the ready and start the clock
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's the “Book” answer. What should really happen is the Ump should be over the ball and not allow this to happen. I never leave the ball until after the ready and many times, especially at lower levels, not until the snapper approaches the ball
Old Wed Nov 26, 2003, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

I have one too.

1st and 10

A1 hands off to A2, A2 runs 5 yards beyond the neutral zone then pitches it back to A1 who is behind the neutral zone, A1 then passes to A3 for a TD.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2003, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

TOUCHDOWN!!!
Old Wed Nov 26, 2003, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Clock starts on the snap. Regardless, acceptance of the penalty entitles A to run one play. This is a situation where I fully explain to the captain decline the penalty fourth and goal from the 4 and the clock starts on the snap because it stopped as a result of the apparent touchdown. They will get to run one more play. Accept the penalty clock still starts on the snap but it will be third and goal from the 14.

Quote:

What happens next is the coach of A is about to become a new planet in the universe after going ballistic if you flag this as a delay of game.

This is really a case of poor mechanics. In spite of the running clock, the umpire should protect the ball from being snapped before the ready. My umpire has instructions to stay on the ball until I either signal the ready or tell him to get out in anticipation of the ready. Never leave the ball unprotected until it is ready.

My season is over and I'm in withdrawal!:-) [/B][/QUOTE]
Old Wed Nov 26, 2003, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hickland
Quote:

Clock starts on the snap. Regardless, acceptance of the penalty entitles A to run one play. This is a situation where I fully explain to the captain decline the penalty fourth and goal from the 4 and the clock starts on the snap because it stopped as a result of the apparent touchdown. They will get to run one more play. Accept the penalty clock still starts on the snap but it will be third and goal from the 14.

Quote:

Ed , If B declines the foul , A scores a TD .
Old Wed Nov 26, 2003, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

A good mechanic I've seen used is the U stands over the ball, the referee holds his hand above his head ready to blow the ready. Just before he blowes it ready he uses his other hand to signal his U to release. The R's signal looks like a one handed pass interferance signal. I've seen this used by Big 10 officials. Looks sharp.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2003, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nvfoa15
TOUCHDOWN!!!
Yep. I always wanted to see someone try somthing like this. I guarentee coaches/fans complain about it.
Old Thu Nov 27, 2003, 07:34pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

In Canada:

#1 : 3D/G on B-14. Clock on the snap.

#2 : Stop the play, no penalty. Start the clock as per usual method dictated by how previous play ended. However, in Canada, we do not have to get the snap off before the clock reads zeros. There is one more play no matter what. Agreed about the U standing over the ball on a hurry-up.

Mike