The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 17, 2003, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

I was watching the end of the Texas/Texas Tech game, and TTU was in hurry-up mode trying to get the tying FG... On one play sequence, Tech got a first down and was tackled inbounds... The clock stopped for the chains to move... As that was happening, Tech runs up to the ball and gets set... They're set for a few seconds when the RFP blows... Almost immediately after the RFP blows, the ball is snapped and spiked by the QB... (It almost looked like the whistle was the cue for the ball to be snapped...)

I've always assumed that the offense had to be set for one second after the RFP and before the ball is snapped... Was this just a faulty assumption on my part..?

(I also realize that there are often glitches and delays happen with the sound when watching on TV... This may not have actually happened this way... But for the sake of discussion, assume that it did...)
Old Mon Nov 17, 2003, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

They only need to be set for 1 second before the ball is snapped. 7-1-4-a
Old Mon Nov 17, 2003, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Here's what struck me. (I'm a Longhorn, so I'm counting myself lucky that those Lubbockers weren't smart enough to think about it)...

When Tech was driving for their TD, they had 2nd and 3 on our 11 with about 2 minutes to go. If I'm the coach, I'm calling for a run up the middle, and telling my guys NOT to score. Run at least 25 seconds and do it again. At worst, it's 4th and 3ish on or around the 11, time for a FG with under a minute left. At best (for them), they get the first, and do it again twice to kick the FG with seconds remaining.

Thank God they ran it in untouched (you think Mack Brown told them to let him score?!?!?! It's possible). Ballsy call putting in Mock there, but he does run the 1-minute drill in practice, and Young doesn't. It worked, so he's a genius. If it didn't, he's fired.

West Houston Mike