The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 29, 2003, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Do you all have to deal with rules that significantly differ from the book in your areas? (And I'm not referring to PeeWee or PW/Little League - just junior high and up).

In our area, the 7th graders often play with altered rules - and there is often no consistency from area to area, and nothing printed. After 2 weeks of this, the guys I work with agreed to have a meeting prior to the first game to discuss the rules. If there's any disagreement, we go with NCAA. But in general, here's what we have to change for 7th graders:

1) No rushing a punt, extra point, or fieldgoal. (Exception - if it's a FG and it's to win the game, they can rush).
2) No blocking on an XP or FG (Yes - the respective lines just stand there looking at each other. The defense often raises their hands or occasionally jumps up, and makes chatter noises)
3) Linebackers cannot blitz on a passing play unless the QB leaves the pocket.
4) No intentional onsides kicks (although the ball is live after 10 yards - it's up to us to determine intent - generally, if it bounces before 10 yards and goes less than 20, we call it intentional.)
5) No going for 2 on an extra point unless it A) will tie the score, or B) is for the win or lead in the 4th quarter.

There are a bunch of things I dislike about these rules (foremost being that the punting team can go down field, but the receiving team can't rush - this often results in the kicking team surrounding the returner before the ball is even kicked, especially on a fumbled snap). But the think I hate most is the lack of a formal document instituting these rules across the board. Do you guys deal with this stuff? If so - how do you handle it, and what oddball rules do you have to deal with?

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Oct 29, 2003, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Only in rec leagues. Schools play by regular rules. BTW, on the kicking situations, neither team is allowed to go downfield until the ball is kicked.
Old Wed Oct 29, 2003, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

2 points for kick try and 1 point for run/pass try for 8th graders in one league.

Another 8th grade league that limits defense to 4 linemen between the tackles, certain one's must be head up and no blitzing by linebackers. (They have a league official in the offensive backfield watch that and tell the WH to throw a flag.)

I've previously worked 7th graders that didn't rush punts, but all were live this year.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2003, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

New York has a modified program for 7th and 8th graders. Defense must be in 6-3-2 or 6-2-2-1 defense. Motion can only be to on one side, motion man canot cross over center. Restrictions on offensive formations. Certain players must leave with an 18-point margin. And, for some schools in order to get players in they play 5 periods (they say quarters but quarters mean 4 periods).

It's always tough trying to remember all the rules, especially, when coming off a varsity game. You are lucky when you get to work with an official who only does junior high because he understands all this stuff.

The rules are published and they do give an extra level of safety to the game albeit confusing for officials.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2003, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Ed is correct about New York "Modified" Football----
BUT---
some of the sections have different rules, and it can get
a bit sticky when you have a Section 3 team playing at
a Section 4 school. We always had to check with both
coaches in our typically hurried and all too brief pre-game.
No such "animal" here in SW FL.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2003, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Modified rules give me a headache. The kids play by regular Fed rules their entire youth years, then are subjected to this mish mosh of crazy guidelines for formations and extra periods. The only good thing about it is no kickoffs.

Nothing pains me more than hearing about how the other teams linebackers are too close or their DB's are too close to the linebackers or their formation is illegal because there are two recievers blah blah yada yada...

Just line up and play football, for god sakes!
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

The X man rule

I know we're not talking about little league, but this is a rule that I can't stand (in part because I was an X when I was growing up.)

If I kid weighs more than a certain weight in his respective age group, they put a big X on his helmet. This is to let everyone know that he can't carry the ball, punt the ball (he can free-kick however), he has to be a lineman. If he's an offensive lineman, he has to be covered on the end. If he's a defensive lineman, his inside shoulder cannot be any further than the outside shoulder of the tackle.

I'm sure there are similar rules elsewhere, but I find it ridiculous that we should penalize a kid for weighing too much (which in most cases means he's just fat.) I had a couple of friends that were X's in little league, then when they got to high school level, one became a fantastic quarterback and one was an all-state linebacker (two positions they couldn't play in little league.

I know that they're main concern is not to have a monster carrying the ball, or being a major rusher. But if they're going to put limits on that, then why don't they do the same for a kid that exceptionally fast? Doesn't that give an advantage too?

Maybe it's just the fat kid in me venting, but I think they should change it.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Re: The X man rule

Quote:
Originally posted by Simbio
I know we're not talking about little league, but this is a rule that I can't stand (in part because I was an X when I was growing up.)

If I kid weighs more than a certain weight in his respective age group, they put a big X on his helmet. This is to let everyone know that he can't carry the ball, punt the ball (he can free-kick however), he has to be a lineman. If he's an offensive lineman, he has to be covered on the end. If he's a defensive lineman, his inside shoulder cannot be any further than the outside shoulder of the tackle.

I'm sure there are similar rules elsewhere, but I find it ridiculous that we should penalize a kid for weighing too much (which in most cases means he's just fat.) I had a couple of friends that were X's in little league, then when they got to high school level, one became a fantastic quarterback and one was an all-state linebacker (two positions they couldn't play in little league.

I know that they're main concern is not to have a monster carrying the ball, or being a major rusher. But if they're going to put limits on that, then why don't they do the same for a kid that exceptionally fast? Doesn't that give an advantage too?

Maybe it's just the fat kid in me venting, but I think they should change it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~
Gee, around here if you are not in high school and weigh over 115 for pee-wee or 155 for midget, you don't even get on a team. When I played youth ball, lower weight limit was 70, I started the season at 72 and got up to 80....started at center and nose....quick and I was afraid of nothing! Boy, did I get a lot smarter in high school
Old Mon Nov 17, 2003, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Do other little leagues have similar rules to the "X-man Rule?"

Hi chris s. You know, in high school I was 6'4" and weighed 225lbs. Some of the hardest hits I ever received were from guys smaller than me. My best friend started tackle next to me (I was an OG) and in drills it was hard as heck to get around him. He was about 5'10", weighed maybe 170lbs, but he was quick, low to the ground, and really strong. Some great players are the smallest dogs in the pack.

Old Tue Nov 18, 2003, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Around my area, there is a Jr High league where players over a certain weight cannot carry the ball or punt. The must be lineman and must line head up on the other kids. Another league does away with the 5-yard facemask penalty and 10 yard block in the back penalty. (These are always 15 yard penalties).

I hate these rules, too. Leagues say they are safety rules.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2003, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Hi chris s. You know, in high school I was 6'4" and weighed 225lbs. Some of the hardest hits I ever received were from guys smaller than me. My best friend started tackle next to me (I was an OG) and in drills it was hard as heck to get around him. He was about 5'10", weighed maybe 170lbs, but he was quick, low to the ground, and really strong. Some great players are the smallest dogs in the pack.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gee, 5/10 and a buck 70...... I got the short end of the stick in my family!!! All county d player nephew, 5-10/240, youngest nephew, OT 6-4/325