The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 04, 2003, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

My boss is an official also, 10 year vet. He also is head coach for pee-wee level kids. I was working games out of town Sunday, but my crew chief and one of my good bud crew-mates was working his. Good bud was WH and chiefy was umping. Bosses tem was on D, A had 1st and 10 from B's 15. Pass play into EZ, R throws a dpi flag, nobody else has a flag down. I hear this this morning, boss is laughing bout it now.....they waved it off at U's persuation....good buddy gonna get clowned tonite
Old Tue Nov 04, 2003, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Good illustration of what we call around here "fishing in some one else's pond". Everyone needs to trust the other officials around them enough so that each official only works his own area. Don't go making calls that definitly aren't yours to call. Your WH probably realized that and is laughing about it.
Old Tue Nov 04, 2003, 11:24pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I'm still wondering how the WH saw interference while he was watching the quarterback. As a smart-a$$, I'd probably ask him that question, too.

When I WH, I trust my crew -- I have my own play responsibilities to cover.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2003, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
I'm still wondering how the WH saw interference while he was watching the quarterback. As a smart-a$$, I'd probably ask him that question, too.

And being another smart- a$$ if I had any idea he was flagging for DPI, then I would have dropped a flag for Roughing the passer from the wing (of course it would be waved off) and then tell him since he was officiating my area, I figured someone needed to watch the passer. Of course I would never do this but it was just a thought.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2003, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonTX
Quote:

And being another smart- a$$ if I had any idea he was flagging for DPI, then I would have dropped a flag for Roughing the passer from the wing (of course it would be waved off) and then tell him since he was officiating my area, I figured someone needed to watch the passer. Of course I would never do this but it was just a thought.
If your game is in Georgia, they might have had to replay the rest of the game if it was not picked up. Its effect could give one team an undeserved advantage. Well, GA has set the precedent for this.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2003, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

I was working HL the other night in a Varsity game, the home team sends out receivers on every play, two rec on my side and another two on the other side. So I was breaking down feild to cover pass, the tackle on my side was holding the defensive end on every play by reahing around and grabbing the back of his jersey, it is obvious but was down where the R could not see it, I am probaly 20 to 30 yards away?

Should I call the holding?
I informed the U and he has not calling it,
Old Wed Nov 05, 2003, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

The sad thing is I have had this happen in a varisty game.

He has been a referee for years too. AWFUL official he is. Also "points" on backwards passes, and called a "halo" violation a few years ago during a high school game (NFHS rules - which there is no such rule). He wouldn't wave it off either. I refused to work with him anymore.

Next time he does that, ...throw a flag for roughing the passer.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2003, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

I've heard officials TEACH the wingman to signal backward pass by pointing. Why is that a bad thing? Keeps someone else who's in the wrong position (like R) from blowing it dead when incomplete. (Yes, I know, R should not ever blow that play dead if QB is not lateral to him, but it happens).

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Nov 05, 2003, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
Rich, that was the first question I had for him....very smart-a$$ish....and you know how I can get
Old Thu Nov 06, 2003, 03:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bubba10Dara
I was working HL the other night in a Varsity game, the home team sends out receivers on every play, two rec on my side and another two on the other side. So I was breaking down feild to cover pass, the tackle on my side was holding the defensive end on every play by reahing around and grabbing the back of his jersey, it is obvious but was down where the R could not see it, I am probaly 20 to 30 yards away?

Should I call the holding?
I informed the U and he has not calling it,
I don’t think you’d be out of line tossing your flag here. As a matter of fact I believe this could be your call especially if the tackle that is holding is on the same side of the field that your WH is setting up on. The blocking key mechanics I use go like this. The WH sets up on the passing hand side of the QB and keys on the far-side tackle .The Ump is set opposite the WH and keys the snapper and adjacent linemen. . The wings are keying on their respective tight ends or tackles. So depending on the play, you may be the only official who’ll have the “look” to make this call. You might try hanging back just a little before breaking so far down field. this could also help in case the QB ends up scrambling to your side.
Old Thu Nov 06, 2003, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Who's watching....

....the quarterback as he's wheeled off on a stretcher?