The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 01, 2003, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

In the Florida - Georgia game, a DB stepped out of bounds, retruned to intercept the pass. They ruled illegal participation and did not allow the catch (NCAA).

For those that try to learn the rules on TV, under NF 9-6-1 that would be legal and the interception would stand.
Old Sat Nov 01, 2003, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Rule 9-2-2-b No simulated replacements or substitutions may be used to confuse opponents. No tactic associated with substitutes or the substitution process may be used to confuse opponents.

Was there a penalty enforced?
Old Sun Nov 02, 2003, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

From the play description I am assuming the DB stepped out during the play, much as a receiver some time will as he tries to get away from a DB. If that was what took place, should not have been a foul.
Old Sun Nov 02, 2003, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry I was not clear. In adjusting to the pass, the DB inadvertently stepped on the sideline; then returned to intercept the pass. The LJ dropped his cap to indicate the player had stepped OOB and almost immediately signaled incomplete. The player was knocked OOB just after the catch, so he may have waited until the end of the play. I saw no flag and there was no penalty yardage accessed. I do not claim to know the NCAA rules and do not know if any penalty should be accessed. I think the penalty is loss of down without any yardage. I'll you NCAA guys address that if you like.

The point I wanted to make is under NF rules it would be different. 9-6-1 states ... "no player of A or K shall go out of bounds and return during the down unless blocked out of bounds by an opponent." ... Under NF rules, the DB in this case could return and the interception would stand.
Old Sun Nov 02, 2003, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

On this play the defensive back unintentionally stepped OOB. He then jumped up and intercepted the ball and was downed. HL or LJ said incomplete pass because DB was OOB before interception. There was no flag on the play. Apparently just ruled DB couldn't possess the ball after going OOB. Not sure I agree with the ruling but I use NF rules and not NCAA.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2003, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Based on Warrenkicker's description of the play (B inadvertently steps OOB, controls a pass while airborne, and lands inbounds) this should be a completed interception in both Federation and NCAA rules.