The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 04, 2003, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

How would you guys handle this...as my msg. above we are a youth football team in IL that is under IHSA rules. The team we are playing this week we have played before and they 1# have a certain running back that all game last time and in the last game he played in which we have the tape is always blocking below the waist..#2 THEY run the play in which a player hides near the sideline and then runs out for a pass..my question is how would you handle this with the officals in the last game we had they said it was ok for the kid to cut block and on the other play because he was within 15 yds it also was ok..would you talk to them before and do I need rule book pages or numbers what should I do before the game I do not have a rule book and do not know the exact rule pages or numbers. thanks jeff
Old Tue Nov 04, 2003, 11:24am
Do not give a damn!!

I would have to see it.

First of all, I would have to see both things you are describing. Many times coaches see things that they think is illegal and it is not illegal at all.

#1--If the running back makes contact and his initial charge is below the waist, then you have a foul. But if that player is in contact with the defender and slides down below the waist, then that is completely legal. Alot of coaches teach that technic and it is legal.

#2--Depends on when they are at the sideline. If they broke the huddle and set up on the line, then I see nothing wrong with that if the action was normal. If they tried to act like a substitute and try to act like they are leaving the field, then you have an Illegal Participation penalty.

I have to make this clear, it is easy to say what happen on a discussion board and not seeing the actual play. Both these situations could be completely legal if the right things took place. On the surface they might be rules violations, but so many times coaches claim they saw something on tape was illegal, then when the game starts the action is totally legal, but the coach does not know the actual rule. I am not suggesting that is you, but I am suggesting no matter what I say or what anyone says, it does not mean you were right that something was done illegally. Some things are not always that cut and dry.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 04, 2003, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

In regards to the hideout play
Here is the pertinent rule that prevents the "hideout play".

Rule 9-6-4c, "It is illegal participation to use a player, replaced player or substitute or pretended substitution at or immediately before the snap or free kick."

The OTHER coach may mention to the Referee that he may run this play to see if they can get away with it during the game. Hopefully, the referee won't allow it and will let him know it is illegal and you won't have to worry about it.

If you bring it up, it might simply be constued as "working the referees" so that is the chance you take. You MIGHT consider asking for how they might rule on the play in question without stating that the other team runs the play..

If worse comes to worse, you could always call a coach-referee conference about the play after it happens.

In regards to the blocks below the waist
Hopefully, you will have a crew that will make the right call on this. I might ask if it is legal, but I certainly wouldn't suggest stating that you've seen the other team do this.

[Edited by mikesears on Nov 5th, 2003 at 06:15 AM]