The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 28, 2023, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Taunting

A-2 breaks for touchdown and taunts B22 at the ten and runs the ball into the end zone as the 4th quarter expire. What is the ruling?
Old Tue Aug 29, 2023, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Anyone have the answer

What is the call
Old Tue Aug 29, 2023, 12:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

It is a penalty. The TD is going to score. And you penalize it on she try (if needed). You cannot put it on the kickoff because there is not one. And you cannot bring it to overtime because you do not know if you will have one either.

But if there was a previous USC foul, you could have this player ejected from the game. But not much else you can do unless you deem the action flagrant and it would have to be pretty bad if you ask me.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 29, 2023, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It is a penalty. The TD is going to score. And you penalize it on she try (if needed). You cannot put it on the kickoff because there is not one. And you cannot bring it to overtime because you do not know if you will have one either.

But if there was a previous USC foul, you could have this player ejected from the game. But not much else you can do unless you deem the action flagrant and it would have to be pretty bad if you ask me.

Peace
This depends on the rule set. In NFHS, this is a TD. The penalty is then enforced on the try.

In NCAA, the UNS is enforced as a live ball foul from the spot of the foul, per Rule 9-2-1. This means that if B accepts the penalty, which they will, A gets an untimed down from the B-25. If B declines, the game will continue with the try, and then the result of the try will determine if the game continues.

In the NFL, the period would not be extended due to the offensive foul, nor would the score count (Rule 4, Section 8, Article 2). The defense can request an untimed down for unsportsmanlike conduct by the offense, but only if it is committed "during a down prior to a safety, an interception of a forward pass, the recovery of a backward pass or fumble, or the offensive team failing to reach the line to gain on fourth down", i.e. in scenarios where the defense will next snap the ball legally because of acquiring possession.

This is assuming that the touchdown narrows the score to a differential where the try would have an effect on the game. If the try does not have an effect on the game, the game would be over in NFHS, and in NCAA and NFL, if the penalty is declined.

Last edited by ilyazhito; Tue Aug 29, 2023 at 11:02pm.
Old Wed Aug 30, 2023, 06:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
In NCAA, the UNS is enforced as a live ball foul from the spot of the foul, per Rule 9-2-1. This means that if B accepts the penalty, which they will, A gets an untimed down from the B-25.
Is the (2nd or 4th) period extended for a foul by the offense? I thought it was only for a foul by the defense? (I am not a FB official)
Old Wed Aug 30, 2023, 10:19am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
This depends on the rule set. In NFHS, this is a TD. The penalty is then enforced on the try.
I know this, but he did not specify this was a college game, so it is easier to assume he is talking about the NF level first.

College rules are often totally different.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 30, 2023, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Is the (2nd or 4th) period extended for a foul by the offense? I thought it was only for a foul by the defense? (I am not a FB official)
Found the rule:
Extension of Periods
ARTICLE 3 a A period shall be extended for an untimed down if one or more
of the following occurs during a down in which time expires in the 2nd or 4th
quarter (AR 3-2-3-I-VIII):
1 A penalty is accepted for a live-ball foul(s) (Exception: Rule 10-2-5-
a) At the option of the offended team, the period is not extended if
the foul is by the team in possession and the statement of the penalty
includes loss of down (AR 3-2-3-VIII)
2 There are offsetting fouls
3 An official sounds their whistle inadvertently or otherwise incorrectly
signals the ball dead
b Additional untimed downs will be played until a down is free of the
circumstances in statements 1, 2 and 3 of Rule 3-2-3-a (above)
c If a touchdown is scored during a down in which time in a period expires,
the period is extended for the try (Exception: Rule 8-3-2-a)
Old Fri Sep 01, 2023, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
Ejecting a player after the game ends would matter only if the league had additional sanctions on players who committed disqualifying fouls.
Old Fri Sep 01, 2023, 10:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Ejecting a player after the game ends would matter only if the league had additional sanctions on players who committed disqualifying fouls.
Well aware of this fact. In most HS associations and ejection requires some level of suspension. Otherwise giving a penalty when the game is over is basically a nothingburger. And I am not suggesting ejecting anyone, just saying that is the only penalty really.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 04, 2023, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In the NFL, the period would not be extended due to the offensive foul, nor would the score count (Rule 4, Section 8, Article 2).
Not true. Unsportsmanlike conduct (taunting) is always a dead ball foul enforced from the succeeding spot in NFL. The penalty is enforced on the try. (With time on the clock, it may instead be enforced on the kickoff. If time has expired and a successful try would not affect the outcome of the game, the game is over.)
Old Wed Oct 04, 2023, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
You've been listening to too many announcers!

Incidentally, NCAA changed the rule this year and only the 2nd and 4th periods extend the periods for untimed downs. Prior to this year, ALL periods extended for untimed downs if there was an accepted penalty. I've found myself twice saying, over the mic, the (x) quarter is over, as we enforced the penalty on the first play of the next quarter. Never said that before.

I understand the change but I liked the previous rule. It was cleaner. I'm sure I'll get used to it.
Old Thu Oct 05, 2023, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
You've been listening to too many announcers!

Incidentally, NCAA changed the rule this year and only the 2nd and 4th periods extend the periods for untimed downs. Prior to this year, ALL periods extended for untimed downs if there was an accepted penalty. I've found myself twice saying, over the mic, the (x) quarter is over, as we enforced the penalty on the first play of the next quarter. Never said that before.

I understand the change but I liked the previous rule. It was cleaner. I'm sure I'll get used to it.
It will be rare that the 2nd or 4th period would wind up extended for a foul solely by the offense. The result of the play would've had to be a score by the offense for the defense not to decline the penalty, unless they're perverse or need to get certain players a down on the field.