The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 12, 2022, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Punt and Kick Off Return Fair Catch

High School Football Scenario. Does the receiver have to catch or attempt to catch football if he signals for a fair catch or can he signal and then just back away and let the ball land. I have been given 2 different rulings on this by 2 different head officials and I would like to know the true ruling on this act of play. Thank you
Old Wed Oct 12, 2022, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe there was something funny in the way you asked him the question, because otherwise I can't imagine an official's telling you a player had any obligation to go thru with an attempt after signaling for a fair catch.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2022, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

It was not a question proposed to the 1st official it was a scenario of the act that he responded to. He did not drop a penalty flag, I can't imagine what the penalty would be, but told me that the receiver should catch or make an attempt to catch under high school guidelines.I responded that I did not think that was correct so before the next game I ask the head official about it and he told me my punt returner was under no obligation to catch the ball even though he has signaled fair catch.
Just trying to get the correct ruling on this act of play and to your point the 2nd official verified that my understanding was correct. Now that you have verified there is no doubt in my mind. Thank you.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2022, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

The receiver can't block after making a fair catch signal, but there is nothing requiring him to attempt to catch or recover the kick.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2022, 11:26am
Do not give a damn!!

All the FC signal does is give the player protection that catches the ball and does not allow him to block. Many punts have a receiver give a FC signal so that they the kicking team will not go after the ball and get the ball in the EZ. Nothing is illegal if they give a signal and do not catch the ball.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 14, 2022, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Similarly, a player's calling "hut" or "go" or some such does not obligate that team to snap the ball at that time even if they've done so previously in the game. A downfield potential receiver's waving for the ball does not obligate a team to pass it there.

Although a fair catch signal is a rule-book communication to officials and opponents, it's not one of those situations where a team captain has indicated a choice to an official and can't retract it.