The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 24, 2003, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Question

I have heard of this play happening twice in the past yr and I am baffled by the ruling by 2 varsity crews (NFHS):

-Player A in possession running towards goal line fumble ball at the two yard line. Ball rolls into end zone and out the backline or sideline w/ no additional touching or muff by either team. Both crews ruled touchdown-

Shouldn't this be a touchback?
Old Fri Oct 24, 2003, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

As you have described the play, it would be a touchback. Is it possible that the covering official ruled that the ball, in posession of the runner, broke the plane of the endzone and was actually fumbled after it became dead? Hard to believe that 2 crews would miss that. What level are we talking about?
Old Fri Oct 24, 2003, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

No,in one case, the umpire of the crew described the play to me and their ruling.

In the second game, two other officials that I know were at the game and saw the play. These were varsity games in both cases. In fact, the second situation occurred in a game that decided a conference championship for very large schools.

Our crew has talked about this in the past. The only thing that we can think of is that they are confused by another rule that states that if the ball is fumbled from the field of play and is unrecovered and untouched in the end zone by either team, it is ruled a TD. But when would that EVER happen?
Old Fri Oct 24, 2003, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Thank you TBALL you always have such great questions. Clearly this is a touchback if the ball had not crossed the plane of the goal line.

Old Sat Oct 25, 2003, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

tball

The rule of thumb: Any time a ball is fumbled through or out of the endzone including the sides, the defense will end up with the ball, either a safety or a touchback, depending on which way the play was going.

Sounds like someone needs to go back to the rule book and look at the definition of a touchdown.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2003, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tball
Our crew has talked about this in the past. The only thing that we can think of is that they are confused by another rule that states that if the ball is fumbled from the field of play and is unrecovered and untouched in the end zone by either team, it is ruled a TD. But when would that EVER happen?
Backwards pass that both teams thought was forward that rolls (or was muffed) into the endzone. This would be one example.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2003, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

True-but in that scenario, it would be a safety. This brings another question; how long do you hold your whistle?
Old Mon Oct 27, 2003, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
True-but in that scenario, it would be a safety. This brings another question; how long do you hold your whistle?
A Fundamental...whistle seldoms kills a play.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2003, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

True-so then we go back to the original statement that a ball would never lay in the end zone unrecovered!
Old Mon Oct 27, 2003, 01:03pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

It's interesting to hear the NF situtation.

Canadian rules dictate that the ball goes back to the offense at the spot of fumble.

Mike
Old Mon Oct 27, 2003, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

JUGGLING

Juggling.

I was watching a CFL game a week or so ago and I saw a ball fumbled, touch an offensive player and roll out of bounds. The officials gave it to the defense. Did I see this correctly? In the States, it remains with the offense.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2003, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was envisioning this on the other side of the field.

A7 throws a backward pass that hits A83 in the chest. It then hits the ground and rolls forward into B's endzone. Neither Team A or Team B makes a play on the ball.

Result: Touchdown for A.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2003, 08:50am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Re: JUGGLING

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
Juggling.

I was watching a CFL game a week or so ago and I saw a ball fumbled, touch an offensive player and roll out of bounds. The officials gave it to the defense. Did I see this correctly? In the States, it remains with the offense.
Hmm.... could be. I meant to qualify my response stating that the Cdn rules I'm talking about are the amateur rules, played across Canada, from PW to HS to Univ/College to Jr. and Sr.

I'm not sure of all the CFL rules yet.