The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 19, 2003, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

I currently work youth and high school but would like to get started on college level games. What rules books, official's manuals, etc. do I need? Where do I find the info on registration, certification, testing, etc.?
Your suggestions on the best way to get started?
Old Sun Oct 19, 2003, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

You should first try other officials you know. Maybe they work college or know somebody who does. They will know who to get in contact with. If that doesn't work then try to find out who the league or conference commissioners are for the colleges in your area. You should be able to call the athletic departments to get some info. Don't forget about the junior colleges.

Once you find them, they will review your work and decide if you are qualified for them. Then they will tell you what you need to know and what you have to do.

At least that is how it works in my area.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2003, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Juco is a great way to get your feet wet in the college arena and see if you like it and can handle it at this point in your career. Also, preseason scrimmages are an excellent training ground.

You will want to pick up the NCAA Rules manual and a book that I bought has been helpful - the Rules Differences book which breaks down the Fed vs. NCAA differences in plain language and gives case plays as well.

I've found, at least at te juco level (I've started this year myself) that the game isn't significantly faster, although it is just a tad, but is a smoother game. Kids know where they're supposed to be (instead of some high school games where 25% of the kids have no idea what their job on any particular play is), the hitting is harder and the players are bigger.

Make sure you have a particular position in mind as well. You may want to see where there is a need in whatever association you are applying to. Good luck.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2003, 01:02pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
Make sure you have a particular position in mind as well. You may want to see where there is a need in whatever association you are applying to. Good luck.
If they are anything like basketball assignors, which is probably the case since they usually are one in the same, you better go in with thte attitude of being a WH. As the WH you should be able to work any position, this way if you aren't assigned a game on a particular weekend they can call you and you can work a game if they need a sub and you can fill any position they need you at.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2003, 01:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Not the same thing.

Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl

If they are anything like basketball assignors, which is probably the case since they usually are one in the same, you better go in with thte attitude of being a WH. As the WH you should be able to work any position, this way if you aren't assigned a game on a particular weekend they can call you and you can work a game if they need a sub and you can fill any position they need you at.
Football is very different. You are not expected to be an expert or have a great deal of grasp when moving up to college ball. College football and HS football are two totally different animals. You will not WH a college game, unless you have some time to work another position. Usually the WH is a crew chief and is responsible for who works on his crew and has some influence with the assignor who stays on the crew and what position they are. And because the game is much faster, no one expects you to be an umpire for example, when you have never officiated that position.

Now obviously I am talking about where we live. So some of this can be a little different in other areas of the country. But around here, the assignor will not put you anywhere. If they need a WH, they will have someone that has some extensive experience at the college level before asking a rookie to have that burden.

Peace