The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 11, 2018, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Defensive hholdig in High School football.

Hi all,

Need clarification. I had a penalty of holding on the defense. We marked off 10 yards from the previous spot. Can you tell me if this was administered correctly? I know in the NFL its 5 yards and automati first down.
Thank you.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2018, 09:05pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauvageguy View Post
Hi all,

Need clarification. I had a penalty of holding on the defense. We marked off 10 yards from the previous spot. Can you tell me if this was administered correctly? I know in the NFL its 5 yards and automati first down.

Thank you.

It might be, it might not be.

What was the play and the result of the play?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old Sun Nov 11, 2018, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

The play was an incomplete pass in which the umpire called holding on the defense. The hold occurred about 5 yards downfield.

Thank you
Old Sun Nov 11, 2018, 09:13pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
The play was an incomplete pass in which the umpire called holding on the defense. The hold occurred about 5 yards downfield.

Thank you

Then it's during a loose ball play, right?

What's the basic spot?

Old Sun Nov 11, 2018, 10:22pm
Official & ***** Member

Quote:

Thank you
10 yards, previous spot. Replay the down, unless penalty yardage results in a new series.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2018, 10:56pm
Chain of Fools

NFL rules and NFHS rules more often than not don't match enforcement. If you are a new official to HS football and you are going to watch pro or college games, determine what the enforcement would be in a HS game by keeping your books handy during the game. Good way to learn.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
NFL rules and NFHS rules more often than not don't match enforcement.
They did until the 1960s. That's when the NFL & AFL looked hard at their penalties, & said, given their market, they had no need to stay parallel w the other codes in terms of penalties -- although the NFL & AFL did stay highly consistent w each other! (I don't know about the Continental FL.) Took the pros a while to diverge a lot from NCAA & Fed, but that's when they apparently made that decision. One thing the pros sacrificed a lot of was ease of administr'n in terms of details for the ref to memorize.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2018, 06:52am
Official & ***** Member

A wise old official once told me:

“NFL rules are made for TV.
NCAA rules are made for the coaches.
NFHS rules are made for the safety of the players.”
Old Thu Nov 29, 2018, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

I think the NFHS rules have one serious flaw. Penalties that should result in an automatic first down and do in other codes that don't in NFHS.

As an example, a high school championship game had a 3rd and 16 play last weekend which I was watching. Blatant person foul facemask penalty by the defender. He knew if he didn't make the tackle it would be a first down run because there was nobody close to the runner. Grabbed the facemask and pulls down the runner behind the LOS. 15 yards and replay the down. That type penalty and defensive PI should be an automatic first down.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2018, 12:42am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
I think the NFHS rules have one serious flaw. Penalties that should result in an automatic first down and do in other codes that don't in NFHS.

As an example, a high school championship game had a 3rd and 16 play last weekend which I was watching. Blatant person foul facemask penalty by the defender. He knew if he didn't make the tackle it would be a first down run because there was nobody close to the runner. Grabbed the facemask and pulls down the runner behind the LOS. 15 yards and replay the down. That type penalty and defensive PI should be an automatic first down.

And fans of the NFHS rule will say an AFD bails out an offense that managed to end up with a 3rd and 16.

Old Fri Nov 30, 2018, 07:02am
Official & ***** Member

NFHS rules are primarily for the safety of the players and, just as importantly, to maintain a competitive balance between offense and defense.

NCAA and NFL rules (such as the one you support) tend to favor the offense, which draws eyeballs to the TV broadcasts that provide much of their revenue.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2018, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
A wise old official once told me:

“NFL rules are made for TV.
NCAA rules are made for the coaches.
NFHS rules are made for the safety of the players.”
If EVER, "One size NEVER fits all" should apply, it relates to the rules of a game, played by people between 8 and 58 years old, involving serious physical confrontations and collisions, by players of serious differences in physical characteristics, maturity and skill sets.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2018, 11:44am
Get away from me, Steve.

There are some rules in NFHS football that are not always equitable. Few sane people would deny that.

That includes the play here used as an example -- a player pulled down illegally and the defense gets to take advantage of the loss of yards. In a perfect world, those types of fouls would be enforced from the previous spot, but the NFHS values consistency above absolute fairness.

The automatic first down, however, is one of those things I can't get all worked up over. While it would bring the HS game closer in line to the other levels, again I ask the question.....why should a team who put itself into a 3rd and 16 be given a new series on a 10 yard penalty? 3rd and 6 is a lot better than 3rd and 16, after all, and it's not even a major foul, so no need to argue that point.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2018, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post

What do you mean by "that type penalty"? You mean a foul in a situation where you judge that the foul was necessary to prevent the line-to-gain from being reached?
Old Mon Dec 03, 2018, 02:32pm
Broadcaster

Broadcaster here. I thought the automatic first down in NFHS was to simplify it. Only the roughing calls are AFD. Full disclosure, it was a coach that told me it was for simplification.