The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Fri Aug 03, 2018, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 188
NFHS/Leaping

Under the High School rule set what constitutes Hurdling. Saw a replay of a game last fall where a guy who was a ball carrier completely jumped over a defender trying to make a tackle.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Fri Aug 03, 2018, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 28
Hurdling is seldom called. By rule hurdling is leaping with the knee or foot forward over an opponent who is not contacting the ground other than with one or both feet.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sat Aug 04, 2018, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Chicago area, Illinois
Posts: 70
Send a message via ICQ to falsecut Send a message via AIM to falsecut Send a message via Yahoo to falsecut
I hadn't called hurdling in ten years and suddenly had occassion to call it twice in one playoff game. The above is a true definition. If the defender isn't, say, kneeling or lying prone or in a similar fashion in contact with the ground, a player from the other team can't jump over them leading with their legs. Since the NFHS is always looking for safety, they don't want a ball carrier hurdling over a defender and kicking him in the head with a shoe or something like that.
__________________
Craig
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sat Aug 04, 2018, 07:54pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 28,184
It is rare it even happens.

Peace
__________________
"When the phone does not ring, the assignor is calling."
--Black

Charles Michael ďMickĒ Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Sun Aug 05, 2018, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Upper West Chester
Posts: 157
Had it in an 8th grade game, several years ago, runner made a real nice hurdle between sideline and numbers. Crowd loved it, coaches loved it. Then they saw 3 flags ( R , U and LJ) . Coach really thought it was ok because (ready for it...) he has seen it on tv.
__________________
My anger management class pisses me off.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Wed Aug 15, 2018, 09:04am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Bend, WI
Posts: 336
Had some interesting banter over this subject with some members of a few other crews sitting around one night.

Running back A33 has the ball and runs downfield getting out in the open field, player B24 (upright on 2 legs) attempts to make a tackle.

* A33 leaps up in the air over A24, completes a forward somersault, and continues running. Ruling?

Or

* A33 leaps straight up (pulling his legs up as he jumps) and goes over the top of B24 trying to make the tackle. Ruling?

Note: The group as a whole had some strong discussion on this for a bit because when he pulls his feet up in the second example, A33's knees come out front of him and become the foremost point to B24. Meeting the definition of a hurdle?
__________________
"Assumption is the mother of all screw-ups...."
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Wed Aug 15, 2018, 10:44am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Rockville,MD
Posts: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.OH View Post
Had it in an 8th grade game, several years ago, runner made a real nice hurdle between sideline and numbers. Crowd loved it, coaches loved it. Then they saw 3 flags ( R , U and LJ) . Coach really thought it was ok because (ready for it...) he has seen it on tv.
Well, it is legal on TV. NCAA rules specifically exempt the runner from the penalty for hurdling (Rule 9-1-13 states "There shall be no hurdling." (Exception: The ball carrier may hurdle an opponent.)) NFL rules do not mention hurdling at all. IMO, if the defender is airborne or has something other than a foot on the ground, hurdling is fair game, because there is no safety issue then.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Wed Aug 15, 2018, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
Well, it is legal on TV. NCAA rules specifically exempt the runner from the penalty for hurdling (Rule 9-1-13 states "There shall be no hurdling." (Exception: The ball carrier may hurdle an opponent.)) NFL rules do not mention hurdling at all.
Seems like it all depends on which Rules Code, the game you happen to be working, is played under. (and whether you're willing to abide by that code).
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 16, 2018, 05:36am
CT1 CT1 is offline
Official & ***** Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Heat View Post
Had some interesting banter over this subject with some members of a few other crews sitting around one night.

Running back A33 has the ball and runs downfield getting out in the open field, player B24 (upright on 2 legs) attempts to make a tackle.

* A33 leaps up in the air over A24, completes a forward somersault, and continues running. Ruling?

Or

* A33 leaps straight up (pulling his legs up as he jumps) and goes over the top of B24 trying to make the tackle. Ruling?

Note: The group as a whole had some strong discussion on this for a bit because when he pulls his feet up in the second example, A33's knees come out front of him and become the foremost point to B24. Meeting the definition of a hurdle?
In (1), thatís a foul.

In (2), I have a hard time believing thatís even physically possible unless the defender has already left his feet to attempt the tackle.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 16, 2018, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
In (1), thatís a foul. (A33 leaps up in the air over A24, completes a forward somersault, and continues running.)

In (2), I have a hard time believing thatís even physically possible unless the defender has already left his feet to attempt the tackle.
Presuming the "Forward somersault" is of the standard "heads first" variety, what would you consider a violation of, "Hurdling is an attempt by a player to jump (hurdle) with one or both feet or knees foremost over an opponent who is contacting the ground with no part of his body except one or both feet" (NFHS 2-22)?
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 16, 2018, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Presuming the "Forward somersault" is of the standard "heads first" variety, what would you consider a violation of, "Hurdling is an attempt by a player to jump (hurdle) with one or both feet or knees foremost over an opponent who is contacting the ground with no part of his body except one or both feet" (NFHS 2-22)?

Agreed. Somersaults are headfirst jumps, so this is a legal play.

The 2nd example is a foul, as a foot or knee is foremost over an opponent during the hurdle.

As rare or as seldom-called as it may be, it is a clearly defined safety rule in the eyes of the NFHS and must be called if it takes place, no matter of the official’s personal standpoint on the rule itself.

Last edited by VA Official; Thu Aug 16, 2018 at 11:29pm.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 23, 2018, 11:27am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Bend, WI
Posts: 336
Saw a HUDL high school highlights video and it was a kid that hurdled about 3-4 times during the year in different games. No flags on any. Didn't clarify what state the plays occurred in, but all I could think of was that every HS age running back in the country that saw that video wants to try that now to make a highlight reel.
__________________
"Assumption is the mother of all screw-ups...."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leaping Tru_in_Blu Softball 7 Tue May 20, 2014 06:06pm
NCAA Leaping DJ_NV Football 2 Fri Aug 17, 2007 05:23pm
Leaping Antonella Softball 1 Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:48am
Leaping/Hurdling a player (Federation) VaASAump Softball 6 Wed Mar 31, 2004 09:51pm
Crow Hop / Leaping sprivitor Softball 11 Fri Jun 06, 2003 08:54am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1