The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Here we go.............. (https://forum.officiating.com/football/103760-here-we-go.html)

HLin NC Fri Apr 13, 2018 06:56am

Here we go..............

Instant replay approved for Alabama HS football, starting this fall - al.com

http://timenspace.net/wp-content/upl...hiterabbit.png

LRZ Fri Apr 13, 2018 09:42am

It's either that, or, like GA, entertain protests over judgment calls. :(

SWFLguy Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:37am

I believe New Jersey is going that way too. How many schools have TV cameras set up to even make it possible?

Rich Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:50am

Eh, I'm not bothered by it. I don't live there.

If they're going to use our usual HUDL views -- sideline and endzone -- they're going to be sadly disappointed. The biggest arguments will be over all the calls that are left to stand because there isn't enough evidence to overturn them.

In our state I wouldn't be thrilled with this if they spend money on this instead of making pay for officials more competitive.

jTheUmp Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:44pm

If the Powers That Be want us to wander over to a sideline, look at a crappy Hudl film for 15 seconds, and announce "The ruling on the field stands"... sure, whatever.

On a related note, they did use replay in the semifinals and finals this year here in MN... only 3 out of 17 replay stoppages resulted in reversals. And those games were all played in the Vikings stadium, with a lot more cameras than the typical High School football game.

ajmc Fri Apr 13, 2018 02:10pm

It seems no matter how many examples we see of pandering to the extremes, rather than simply correcting them, is usually a waste of time, we keep trying.

The problem seems not that we have any great increase of extreme people asking for things, as much as we seem to have a great many more, otherwise rational people, willing to take extreme requests seriously. I believe Coach Lombardi warned us, "Never let the pursuit of perfection, interfere with the delivery of excellence".

CT1 Fri Apr 13, 2018 05:42pm

This will be experimental for up to three years. I'll keep you posted as we get more information about how this will work.

Personally, I plan to apply for a RO job. :D

scrounge Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:44pm

Further details on the mechanics of how this will go down...

Sorry, CT1, no replay official outside of state championship games! R and a non-involved official will go watch an iPad on the sideline. This should go well...

How will instant replay work in Alabama HS football? Answering 20 questions | AL.com

CT1 Sat Apr 14, 2018 08:02am

The worst thing about this is having to "officiate to replay" in some games, but using our normal "When In Doubt" philosophies in others.

ajmc Sat Apr 14, 2018 01:28pm

The questions/answers on the referenced article provides an excellent summary of some of the major concerns, and plans, for this proposal.

Not surprisingly, in view of all the recent concerns about "the growing length of Interscholastic Football games duration", the article suggests this proposal (Replay Review) anticipates adding 20-30 minutes to actual game time (which will be verified during the test period).

Considering the limited general benefit, that has actually accrued to games played at higher levels (unique to their individual environments), the size, scope and anticipated expense of expanding this additional across the HS level Football spectrum, it raises reasonable questions of "risk/effort vs reward/need".

HLin NC Sat Apr 14, 2018 01:32pm

The NF has spent the last few months telling any media outlet that will listen how the shortage of officials is reaching crisis levels. Multiple newspapers in multiple states have printed the story. But now we have Alabama basically saying "Hold muh beer".

This is about as tone deaf as it gets.

ilyazhito Sat Apr 14, 2018 07:10pm

Maybe Alabama has a surplus of football officials, instead of a deficit, and will be promoting subvarsity officials to varsity games, especially with instant replay coming in :P. Maybe those games with replay will also be 7-man games ;).

john5396 Thu Apr 19, 2018 01:27pm

Who is the winner in this? The kids... Nope, The officials.... Nope, or DVSports (Ding Ding Ding)????

Rich Ives Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWFLguy (Post 1020750)
How many schools have TV cameras set up to even make it possible?

The coaches video the games.

JRutledge Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 1020960)
The coaches video the games.

And those are not very good angles.

Peace