The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Here we go.............. (https://forum.officiating.com/football/103760-here-we-go.html)

HLin NC Fri Apr 13, 2018 06:56am

Here we go..............

Instant replay approved for Alabama HS football, starting this fall - al.com

http://timenspace.net/wp-content/upl...hiterabbit.png

LRZ Fri Apr 13, 2018 09:42am

It's either that, or, like GA, entertain protests over judgment calls. :(

SWFLguy Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:37am

I believe New Jersey is going that way too. How many schools have TV cameras set up to even make it possible?

Rich Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:50am

Eh, I'm not bothered by it. I don't live there.

If they're going to use our usual HUDL views -- sideline and endzone -- they're going to be sadly disappointed. The biggest arguments will be over all the calls that are left to stand because there isn't enough evidence to overturn them.

In our state I wouldn't be thrilled with this if they spend money on this instead of making pay for officials more competitive.

jTheUmp Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:44pm

If the Powers That Be want us to wander over to a sideline, look at a crappy Hudl film for 15 seconds, and announce "The ruling on the field stands"... sure, whatever.

On a related note, they did use replay in the semifinals and finals this year here in MN... only 3 out of 17 replay stoppages resulted in reversals. And those games were all played in the Vikings stadium, with a lot more cameras than the typical High School football game.

ajmc Fri Apr 13, 2018 02:10pm

It seems no matter how many examples we see of pandering to the extremes, rather than simply correcting them, is usually a waste of time, we keep trying.

The problem seems not that we have any great increase of extreme people asking for things, as much as we seem to have a great many more, otherwise rational people, willing to take extreme requests seriously. I believe Coach Lombardi warned us, "Never let the pursuit of perfection, interfere with the delivery of excellence".

CT1 Fri Apr 13, 2018 05:42pm

This will be experimental for up to three years. I'll keep you posted as we get more information about how this will work.

Personally, I plan to apply for a RO job. :D

scrounge Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:44pm

Further details on the mechanics of how this will go down...

Sorry, CT1, no replay official outside of state championship games! R and a non-involved official will go watch an iPad on the sideline. This should go well...

How will instant replay work in Alabama HS football? Answering 20 questions | AL.com

CT1 Sat Apr 14, 2018 08:02am

The worst thing about this is having to "officiate to replay" in some games, but using our normal "When In Doubt" philosophies in others.

ajmc Sat Apr 14, 2018 01:28pm

The questions/answers on the referenced article provides an excellent summary of some of the major concerns, and plans, for this proposal.

Not surprisingly, in view of all the recent concerns about "the growing length of Interscholastic Football games duration", the article suggests this proposal (Replay Review) anticipates adding 20-30 minutes to actual game time (which will be verified during the test period).

Considering the limited general benefit, that has actually accrued to games played at higher levels (unique to their individual environments), the size, scope and anticipated expense of expanding this additional across the HS level Football spectrum, it raises reasonable questions of "risk/effort vs reward/need".

HLin NC Sat Apr 14, 2018 01:32pm

The NF has spent the last few months telling any media outlet that will listen how the shortage of officials is reaching crisis levels. Multiple newspapers in multiple states have printed the story. But now we have Alabama basically saying "Hold muh beer".

This is about as tone deaf as it gets.

ilyazhito Sat Apr 14, 2018 07:10pm

Maybe Alabama has a surplus of football officials, instead of a deficit, and will be promoting subvarsity officials to varsity games, especially with instant replay coming in :P. Maybe those games with replay will also be 7-man games ;).

john5396 Thu Apr 19, 2018 01:27pm

Who is the winner in this? The kids... Nope, The officials.... Nope, or DVSports (Ding Ding Ding)????

Rich Ives Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWFLguy (Post 1020750)
How many schools have TV cameras set up to even make it possible?

The coaches video the games.

JRutledge Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 1020960)

And those are not very good angles.

Peace

bisonlj Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT1 (Post 1020774)
The worst thing about this is having to "officiate to replay" in some games, but using our normal "When In Doubt" philosophies in others.

Based on conversations I've had with D1 and NFL officials that is not necessarily true. They are instructed to officiate as they see it using "When in doubt" when necessary, because you never know when replay will malfunction. There may be some of this, but those situations would be rare and not difficult for a newer official to replay to handle.

ajmc Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 1020960)

Think of all the fun you'd have explaining to Coach A, why you're reversing (confirming, negating) a call on the field after watching Coach B's video. Then again, that might be easier than ruling on dueling videos taken by each team.

CT1 Fri Apr 20, 2018 06:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1020961)

Peace

Correct. Imagine trying to determine if a runner stepped OOB on the home team sideline using the press box camera. All you'll see is the back of heads.

Or, whether the ball broke the plane of the GL. Good luck on that one from either the press box camera or the end zone "lift" camera.

ilyazhito Fri Apr 20, 2018 08:30am

The replay systems will probably have some sort of goal line cameras, as well as end zone and 50 yard line views. DVSports or another company might also sell sideline cameras, to create a minimally viable system for instant replay.

bob jenkins Fri Apr 20, 2018 09:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1020968)
The replay systems will probably have some sort of goal line cameras, as well as end zone and 50 yard line views. DVSports or another company might also sell sideline cameras, to create a minimally viable system for instant replay.

In order to make this work smoothly, they should have volunteer referees and camera operators at all grade school games so they can get used to this.

Texas Aggie Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1020961)

Peace

It isn't just the angles. The video we get, even from the big schools, isn't very good. If it isn't in 1080p or better, from the distance it is shot, it is virtually useless for most puposes.

The lighting in the stadium is one of the big issues. I can tell you from shooting pics at HS stadiums that only a few stadiums have even decent lighting. The only place I shot that I had the light I wanted was the old Texas Stadium (former Cowboys home) and schools only played there in the playoffs.

CT1 Wed Jun 06, 2018 06:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by john5396 (Post 1020951)
Who is the winner in this? The kids... Nope, The officials.... Nope, or DVSports (Ding Ding Ding)????

I'd say so. DVSports' price is $3500 for the first year's lease, $1500 for each year thereafter, and that's for only two cameras. Additional cameras are $500/year each. In addition, each camera will require a trained operator to get the best look. Very few schools will be willing to make that kind of commitment.

It's my opinion that the Executive Director and Director of Officials are tired of taking so many late Friday / early Saturday phone calls from coaches complaining that they got jobbed. Now, if the school wasn't using replay, they have an easy out.

KWH Sat Jun 09, 2018 02:40pm

Good Luck with your experiment Alabama, but unfortunatly...

...the odds of taking a 30.06 outside, firing at the Moon and actually hitting the Apollo 11 landing site are much better then "Replay" having any chance of ever being added to the NFHS Football Rules Book!

CT1 Sun Jun 10, 2018 07:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by KWH (Post 1022269)
...the odds of taking a 30.06 outside, firing at the Moon and actually hitting the Apollo 11 landing site are much better then "Replay" having any chance of ever being added to the NFHS Football Rules Book!

That may be true right now, but I suspect it will eventually be a "by state adoption" addition. NFHS's "customers" (i.e., coaches and supporters) will demand it.

HLin NC Sun Jun 10, 2018 07:42am

My alma mater is struggling to get funds to buy additional helmets and new uniforms. This will devolve into a haves and have nots situation. It all sounds good when DVS or whoever breezes in to your governing body's board/committee meeting and puts on the dog and pony show.

JRutledge Mon Jun 11, 2018 06:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT1 (Post 1022278)
That may be true right now, but I suspect it will eventually be a "by state adoption" addition. NFHS's "customers" (i.e., coaches and supporters) will demand it.

This sounds like the shot clock argument in basketball. Yes people say they want it, but do not have the money to make it happen.

Peace

KWH Tue Jun 19, 2018 01:04pm

I agree

Quote:

Originally Posted by john5396 (Post 1020951)

Exactly!!