The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 11, 2017, 12:02pm
In Time Out

Possible Head Injuries

NFL will explore whether concussion protocol was followed with Savage – ProFootballTalk

This happened in an NFL game yesterday. Obviously in an ideal world, all of the medical staff on the sideline in an NFL game, including an independent neurologist, would do their jobs and prevent a situation like this from occurring. At the NFL level, are the officials expected to independently keep someone from coming back on the field on a later possession, or is the assumption made that there are enough qualified medical personnel to decide that?

How is this handled as you work your way down through the college ranks into high school and then youth football? I have to imagine that the officials' responsibility increases significantly the younger the players are. Obviously the vast majority of officials don't have any significant medical training. Is recognition of potential head injuries a part of the training for football officials?

Semi off-topic, how much liability is there for officials these days as far as players with head injuries go?

I figured I'd throw this out there as it's a topic I've wondered about, plus a discussion of how best to handle player safety can only be a positive to have.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2017, 02:19pm
TODO: creative title here

We're officials, not medical professionals (except for those officials who happen to be medical professionals in their day-to-day, of course).

We've all taken concussion training (at least, I'd be very surprised if any state didn't mandate it at this point).

For MN, if an official observes any signs/symptoms of a concussion in a player, we're directed to stop the game and have that player replaced. The player is then supposed to be evaluated by an "appropriate health care professional" (doctor, athletic trainer, etc). If cleared by said health care professional, that player can return to the game within the bounds of the substitution rules for that sport.

If the player does return to the game, we are to assume that they have been cleared to do so. If the player returns to the game and exhibits signs/symptoms again, we send 'em off again to be evaluated.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2017, 02:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
We're officials, not medical professionals (except for those officials who happen to be medical professionals in their day-to-day, of course).

We've all taken concussion training (at least, I'd be very surprised if any state didn't mandate it at this point).

For MN, if an official observes any signs/symptoms of a concussion in a player, we're directed to stop the game and have that player replaced. The player is then supposed to be evaluated by an "appropriate health care professional" (doctor, athletic trainer, etc). If cleared by said health care professional, that player can return to the game within the bounds of the substitution rules for that sport.

If the player does return to the game, we are to assume that they have been cleared to do so. If the player returns to the game and exhibits signs/symptoms again, we send 'em off again to be evaluated.
What you said. Except we haven't really received training here.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2017, 04:30pm
Chain of Fools

We took either something online the Fed has or NCHSAA put out, don't really remember who issued it. If we see symptoms, send him off. If an approved healthcare provider clears, he's back in. Onus is on them.

Anybody can be sued for anything. Prevailing is the issue. It certainly doesn't hurt to have a liability policy which I get with my NFHS membership. NASO and others have it too.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2017, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
We took either something online the Fed has or NCHSAA put out, don't really remember who issued it. If we see symptoms, send him off. If an approved healthcare provider clears, he's back in. Onus is on them.

Anybody can be sued for anything. Prevailing is the issue. It certainly doesn't hurt to have a liability policy which I get with my NFHS membership. NASO and others have it too.
Even when you send a player out for evaluation, and he's sent back in, IF YOU are REALLY uncomfortable with the way he subsequently looks, or acts, YOU are authorized to send him back out for another check.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2017, 07:59pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post

Mark, Jr., and I are registered by both the OhioHSAA and MichiganHSAA.

The State of Ohio passed legislation in 2013 that requires anyone who adjudicates youth sports (18 and under) in the State of Ohio requires that person to have either passed one of two online concussion courses: 1) The one offered by the NFHS, or 2) the one offered by the CDC. OhioHSAA requires its officials to have completed the NFHS course every three years. Ohio's legislation means that if one is not an OhioHSAA registered official and you officiate/umpire non-OhioHSAA sanctioned youth sports in the State of Ohio that you must either have completed the NFHS or CDC online concussion course before one can officiate or umpire. It also means that out of state umpires who are assigned USA Softball Nationals that are conducted in Ohio must complete the NFHS or CDC online concussion course before they can umpire in Ohio

Neither the State of Michigan nor the MichiganHSAA have such a requirement.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio