The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 06, 2003, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Patsfan2431
I've had my white hat call an ineligible man down field this weekend. He expalined to me the rule, basically quoting from the rule book, but can any of you guys help me with some real play examples. It would help me to understand how to see when this occurs.

Thanks..
Old Mon Oct 06, 2003, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Patsfan2431
I've had my white hat call an ineligible man down field this weekend. He expalined to me the rule, basically quoting from the rule book, but can any of you guys help me with some real play examples. It would help me to understand how to see when this occurs.

Thanks..
NFHS Rule 7-5-12.

An ineligible A player may not advance beyond the neutral zone on a legal forward pass play before the last pass which crosses the neutral zone is in flight. If B touches the pass in or behind the neutral zone, this restriction is terminated. An ineligible is not illegally downfield if, at the snap, he immediately contacts a B lineman and contact does not continue beyond the expanded neutral zone.

A player is eligible by position and/or number. Only those players wearing numbers 1-49 and 80-99 are eligible. Also, oly those players wearing eligible numbers AND on the end of their line OR in the backfield are eligible to receive a forward pass.

Umpire should move up to LOS when he reads pass and should rule on ineligibles downfield.
Old Mon Oct 06, 2003, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

You will have at least 5 in eligibles on every play. More if the "ends" with eligible numbers are covered. When I umpire I try to get the numbers of these 5 guys when they are coming up to the LOS. Once you read pass, move up to the LOS if all 5 are in front of you no problem. If they are behind you and the pass is in front of you (forward pass behind the LOS) still no problems. On occassion, you'll get a guy down field but not all that often. The key is to get it right when it does happen.
Old Mon Oct 06, 2003, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks..
You can be ineligible by number or by position.

Numbers 50-79 are ineligible to go beyond the neutral zone expanded when a forward pass is thrown beyond the neutral zone -- ineligible by number.

By position, interior linemen are ineligible. An eligible receiver must be a back or on the end of the line. Example,

Line 80 77 67 50 68 78 82

Numbers 80 and 82 are eligible by their position on the end of the line.

Line 80 87 67 50 68 78 82

Now 87 is an eligible number but is ineligible by position -- he is an interior lineman.

Sometimes players make a mistake and position themselves incorrectly, therefore, becoming ineligible.

Example:

Line 80 77 67 50 68 78 84 82

Number 84 is suppose to be in the slot between the tackle and the end. But he steps on the line and becomes 'covered' by 82. If he goes downfield and a forward pass is thrown. He is ineligible.

Hope this helps.

Old Mon Oct 06, 2003, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Tom Hinrichs
Inelligibles down field

The best place to catch this is before the snap.

If the wings are signaling the # of players on the L.O.S.- they would have to give the signal for 4 players on the L.O.S. on their side of the ball.

In this case, any player inside of the end is in eligible. If that ineligible player releases down field, and the ball is thrown- drop a flag for ineligibles down field.

As the R- I will also punch toward the player who is covered and make eye contact with the wing- that way we will have two flags on the ground when the ball is thrown.

A couple of things to look out for.

1. Dont flag it too soon- this situation is only a foul when the ball is thrown. If the play is a running play or if the qb is sacked- no flag.

2. Be Aware that this situation can easily lead to multiple flags. If the inelligible player touches the ball down field, B will have a choice of inelligible receiver down field or offensive pass interference.
Old Mon Oct 06, 2003, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

this was tough for me too because the jargon used by the seasoned officials was confusing. i am not sure when the ref would really have time to call an ineligible downfield, but as a U a few times, this is what i've learned so far. U keys the center and the interior line.
Look at numbers first. ineligible numbers are 50-79 inclusive. they are ineligible by number. they get to block two yards if engaged with a defender who was on the LOS (i.e. ENZ).
look for tight end also. Check the wingman on that side to see if he is covered and therefore ineligible. If wings arms are by his/her side with a flanker on that side, then tight end is ineligible.
there are always at least five ineligibles on offense, but a covered tight end will also be ineligible. U goes to the LOS on pass read to verify the status of those ineligibles at the time the pass crosses the NZ.

Old Mon Oct 06, 2003, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

What do you guys think of this resource?
http://www.spectral-arts.com/referee/eligible.php
Old Mon Oct 06, 2003, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by LJ89
What do you guys think of this resource?
http://www.spectral-arts.com/referee/eligible.php
It's cool.
Old Mon Oct 06, 2003, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks..
OK, real world examples. The majority of ineligibles downfield occur in the following circumstances:

1. A screen pass that travels too far. Remember if the pass (or last pass) does not cross the NZ, then ineligibles can be downfield legally. Often on a screen pass, linemen will immediately break downfield to block on a pass that is intended to be completed behind the NZ. The QB may overthrow the intended receiver, the ball crosses the NZ, and you now have a foul for the ineligibles who are downfield.

2. After a long QB scramble. Linemen usually know how long they have to wait before moving downfield. If the QB does not throw when expected and begins to scramble, a lineman may move or drift beyond the ENZ, and when the pass crosses the NZ you now have a foul.

3. An eligible number is "covered." Sometimes the widest man will be on the line when he is supposed to be off the line and he covers up and eligible number, such as in this formation:

81 83 77 51 53 66 67 28

Perhaps here 81 is supposed to be in the backfield and 83 is supposed to be a tight end. 83 does not realize he is covered and he goes downfield. When the pass goes beyond the NZ, you have a foul (and it would be OPI if 83 touches the ball).

Obviously an ineligible downfield foul can occur in other situations, but these are some of the most common times it will happen. Hope this helps.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2003, 02:09am
Official Forum Member

If the ref is doing his job properly, he has no idea who goes downfield. Does he also flag INT 30 yards downfield?

Bob
Old Tue Oct 07, 2003, 05:58am
Official Forum Member

That's what I've been wondering, why would the White Hat make that call? Is not the responsibility primary with the Umpire and the Wings and perhaps the BJ?
Old Tue Oct 07, 2003, 06:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Samdog
That's what I've been wondering, why would the White Hat make that call? Is not the responsibility primary with the Umpire and the Wings and perhaps the BJ?
Perhaps they are working a 3-man crew at a subvarsity game.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2003, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

OK! I agree, however in a 5 man crew that should not be the responsibility of the R.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2003, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Patsfan2431
Guys,
Thanks for your great illustrations. I understand the rule much better now! The game was a subvarsity game and the ref threw the flag because the wing official (2nd year guy) noticed that the formation didn't look right and gave the ref a look to key him on it. The ref through the flag and then explained why it wasn't right.

Old Tue Oct 07, 2003, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: One other "real world" example like PSU213 offered above: QB is flushed and rolls right. Interior linemen on the back side are left high and dry by the defenders pursuing the QB. Often, they naturally drift downfield, frankly 'cuz there's no where else to go. QB then throws the ball downfield. This will almost always be the off wing's call.