The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 10, 2017, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Does Your Group Work Double-headers?

Curious as to whether, in your state, you are working varsity/JV double-headers on Friday nights, or just varsity only Friday and JV on another day? Can you please respond, and let me know in what state you are working.

We are trying to convince schools in our section to move to varsity only.
Old Fri Nov 10, 2017, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Central OH, Fridays are strictly varsity. Sat is freshman/JV doubleheaders, though some schools are starting to not have the numbers for freshman teams.
Old Fri Nov 10, 2017, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Texas: the only doubleheader with a varsity game -- and it is extremely rare (i.e. 3 a year or so) -- isn't JV but a Junior High for a six-man football game. It involves private schools with limited budgets and they just bring the only 2 teams they have. Otherwise, Friday night is strictly varsity. I've never worked anything but a varsity game on Friday, though I've worked subvarsity every other day of the week (other than Sunday).

Thursdays are mostly Freshman or JV (some Frosh/JV at sites; others two of each at sites); smaller public schools play 7/8/JV at one site. Private schools will do a JV at one site and 7/8 at the other when they're playing a team in town. We have a fair number of varsity games on Thursdays each week usually due to school district wide stadiums. In my part of Texas, we rarely play on Saturday; other parts, including Houston, must play on Saturday due to numbers of games. They also play (V) on Thursday.

Wednesday games, if they happen, are the Freshman JV from above when the varsity teams play on Thursday nights. There are also freshman C team games on Wednesday, though that is rare.

Monday is 7th grade and Tuesday is 8th grade. Most of those are double headers; some have 3 games. That gets switched up during the State Fair of Texas as one Monday, usually in early October, is a school "fair day," and they don't play.

We stay pretty busy during the season.
Old Fri Nov 10, 2017, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

I don't believe there is strict prohibition against Friday afternoon JV, but it would be an exception. However Saturday morning JV contests, are somewhat common, and the officials working those games are often assigned to Varsity contests later in the day.

Usually those assignments would involve different schools, playing at different fields.
Old Fri Nov 10, 2017, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Generally it is Monday JV, Tuesday-Thursday (depending on the league) middle school, Thursday is freshmen and Friday is varsity, Saturday and Sunday are youth leagues. However we occasionally have a team travel a long distance and could have a JV/varsity DH on a Friday. Also once last year had a team host the freshman and JV (on 2 different fields) at 3:30, with the JV crew sticking around for the varsity later in the evening, and some of us on the freshman game driving 15 minutes down the road for a varsity game with 2 different schools.

We have 18 high schools within a 1 hour drive, and barely enough officials to cover so we encourage schools to not double us up as working multiple games leads to more injuries and if someone goes down they would only have 4 on a varsity game as no one could get there to cover even if there was someone not working. (NOTE: This would probably be your best selling point, stress that the varsity game suffers due to the DH.)

I am in SW Washington State. However elsewhere around the state they do things differently. I know some places have frosh/varsity DH, with JV at opposite site on Monday. High schools only play on Saturdays around here during the playoffs so that youth leagues can get stadiums and officials, and schools know their gates tend to be bigger on days with school anyway (schools normally charge admission for all HS football games even sub-varsity).
Old Mon Nov 13, 2017, 10:42am
Chain of Fools

NCHSAA- WNC: JV on Thursday @ 7:00, Varsity on Friday @ 7:00 or 7:30 depending on the conference.

We do occasionally have a MS/JV doubleheader 4:30 & 7:00 pm on Thursdays. We work a 4 man for MS and the BJ comes in for JV game.

The private schools vary. They used to play varsity on Friday or Saturday afternoon. Some of our crews might occasionally get a Friday afternoon private game followed by a public HS game Friday night at another location depending on our depth that night. Their JV games tend to be in the afternoon during the week. One of the private schools added lights and wants the "Friday Night Lights" experience now. The other has not gotten lights and still plays Fri/Sat afternoon games.

The home school league used to play a doubleheader on Friday nights with other home school teams in the region but I've not seen that lately.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2017, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

I know in Hawaii there are JV and Varsity doubleheader and that sometimes officials were assigned to work both games. In Las Vegas, the sub varsity games, B and JV, are part of a doubleheader played on Thursdays. Usually the entire crew works both games, with the addition of one more official for the JV game since it is a 5-person crew.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2017, 01:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

The state has nothing to do with how teams or when teams play games for the most part. So many games are double-headers if they have enough players or the school is big enough. There are some schools that play only a varsity game on a Friday night for example, but I see mostly double-headers.

All scheduling is done by the schools or conferences. State plays no role in how many games are played at a school on any given day.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 16, 2017, 07:42am
Official & ***** Member

The only DHs I'm aware of around here are the occasional JH DHs where 2 games are held at the same site back-to-back. We always assign two crews, although an individual official may "double-up" at times.

We typically play JV/Frosh on Mondays, JH on Tuesday & Thursday, and varsity only on Friday nights.