The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 07, 2003, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Warrenkicker
I agree with you so I will be devil's advocate here. What about after a safety and the team punts for the free-kick. Is that ball put into play at the exact spot designated when the ready-for-play was blown?

I really don't see a problem moving the ball a couple of inches but Kansas doesn't want things that way so I won't let them move it. [/B]
It's an analogy, so there will be some holes in it... However, the book does say that the punt must be kicked from within one step behind K's free kick line... So that seems to acknowledge a little bit of imprecision as to where exactly the ball will be when it is kicked...

I realize this isn't very precise language, but it's enough to allow me to rationalize the analogy...

I guess the next question is how far to the left or right do you allow the punter of the free kick to stray from the "designated spot"..? (Not that anyone's really going to be in good position to rule on that...)
Old Thu Oct 09, 2003, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

free kick moving the ball

rule 6-2 NF STATES once the ball is marker ready for play it is illegal procedure to move the ball after it is in its designated position....
Old Fri Oct 10, 2003, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Re: free kick moving the ball

Quote:
Originally posted by MNMRI
rule 6-2 NF STATES once the ball is marker ready for play it is illegal procedure to move the ball after it is in its designated position....
Rule 6-2 is Scrimmage Kicks. Which article are you referring to?
Old Sat Oct 11, 2003, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: free kick moving the ball

Quote:
Originally posted by Smiley
Quote:
Originally posted by MNMRI
Rule 6-2 is Scrimmage Kicks. Which article are you referring to?
I think he meant 6-1-2.
Old Sat Oct 11, 2003, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe this will put your play to rest.
This is from NF's rules interpretation for 2001. Nothing has changed since then to rule any differenly. The situation is #15.

SITUATION 15: After the ready signal on a free kick, K is in a huddle and all 11 players race toward the ball, which is lying on the ground or on a tee. Ten K players then break off toward the sidelines without crossing their freekick line while kicker K1 picks the ball up off the ground and/or adjusts it to an upright position on the tee. RULING: This is not a dead-ball, free-kick infraction. The designated spot has not changed. The kicker/holder may adjust the ball as needed. However, the ball must be kicked within the allotted 25 seconds following the ready-for-play signal.

Old Sun Oct 12, 2003, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
Maybe this will put your play to rest.
This is from NF's rules interpretation for 2001. Nothing has changed since then to rule any differenly. The situation is #15.

SITUATION 15: After the ready signal on a free kick, K is in a huddle and all 11 players race toward the ball, which is lying on the ground or on a tee. Ten K players then break off toward the sidelines without crossing their freekick line while kicker K1 picks the ball up off the ground and/or adjusts it to an upright position on the tee. RULING: This is not a dead-ball, free-kick infraction. The designated spot has not changed. The kicker/holder may adjust the ball as needed. However, the ball must be kicked within the allotted 25 seconds following the ready-for-play signal.

Is this something you have printed out or do you have a web site location of it? This is the exact play that a team in my area runs. Another coach has complained and got the state to rule in his favor. I would like to forward this situation to the state and get their final ruling on this play.
Old Sun Oct 12, 2003, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

It was on the NF site in 2001. All I have is hard copy. If you want I can scan and send it to you.
Alternatively, you could contact the NF. I would hope this stuff would be stashed away in some archive folder.
Old Sun Oct 12, 2003, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks. I may try to see if my state guy can get that from NF. He is one of the guys in the front of the rules book with a picture. He should know the right person to talk to.