The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 26, 2003, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Here's what I get tripped up on as a beginning official...

Dead Ball v. Live Ball Infractions (High School Rules)

As I understand it, there are 4 types of penalties that will stop the play from beginning:

1) False Start

2) Snap Infraction

3) Encroachment

4) Illegal Substitution

Is this correct?

As for Live Ball penalties...
As I understand it, there's no Illegal Motion in high school. Any illegal motion is an Illegal Shift.

Here's where my confusion arises...

The difference between Illegal Shift and False Start:

Obviously, a set offensive lineman that flinches on the first count when the snap was supposed to be on the second count is guilty of a False Start.

How about a set RB that fires out a fraction before the snap (but clearly before)? Do we still shut it down and call False Start or do we let the play happen and give the D the choice of Illegal Shift or the result of the play?

Can a back or end flinch and reset so long as they are reset for a count. If so, do they have to shift to do it?

This forum is great.

Thanks for all your helpful posts or at least tolerating my basic questions.

Eric

Old Fri Sep 26, 2003, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mvp2jeter
As I understand it, there's no Illegal Motion in high school. Any illegal motion is an Illegal Shift.
There is illegal motion in high school, it's just not what you think it is... It's either the motion man turning upfield before the snap, or if the motion man started as the end man on the line of scrimmage, they're moving at the snap, and they're not 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage...

Quote:
How about a set RB that fires out a fraction before the snap (but clearly before)?
He simulated the start of the play, so I call this false start...

Old Fri Sep 26, 2003, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

I asked a similar question and got a great quick reference answer. If the infraction is correctable play it out. If the infraction is not correctable stop it.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2003, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

The quick reference answer is correct.

The common thread that defines dead ball versus live ball foul is whether or not the offender can correct the foul before the snap.

As you stated, false start, encroachment, snap infraction, illegal substitution cannot be corrected. Easy example is the snap infraction. Center starts to snap but stops motion. Cannot be undone.

Illegal motion, illegal shift can be undone before the snap. Man goes in motion toward the line of scrimmage -- the motion is illegal. But, he can come to a full stop for a second before the snap and that would correct what could have been a foul.

Action simulating a snap is tricky because a player who can go in motion makes a feigned move as though the snap had occurred. It is not motion and cannot be corrected. But requires good judgement.

Remember, what has been stated only applies to NFHS rules. There are differences in the NCAA rules.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2003, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

That flinch by a man in the backfield is always problematical. If the "flinch", in your opinion, simulates the start of the play, it's false start - kill the play. If it's just forward, but doesn't simulate the start of play, it's an illegal shift, let the play go.

My rule of thumb is usually how he reacts immediately afterward. If he stops immediately (as if he'd forgotten the snapcount), it's usually false start. If he continues smoothly (as if he might be just going in motion), it's a shift. And when in doubt, it's a shift unless he draws the defense offsides.

West Houston Mike