The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 24, 2003, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

A couple of housekeeping items:

1) As R, you toss the coin. Team A will receive. What is the best way to get the teams to place their backs to the goal lines that they will defend? I always tell them to place their backs to their goal lines and look at me, but many times they are just confused. Any non-fail tips?

2) On the flanks, during my pregame, I always move the yardage markers at least 6 ft off the sideline. This provides a natural boundary during the game to keep spectators and players back. Seems obvious, but I see some guys trying to work around them or only moving them back a few feet. Also gives more room for the chains. Does everyone do this?

3) How about a fool proof way of communicating to the coaches when the 2nd half will begin as they leave the field. Do you give them a specific time, such as 8:15pm? What if they're watch and yours are different? I start the game clock and tell them to be back before it runs down to 00:00. Ideas? Better ways?

4) It's raining. What are your best tips to stay dry (feet especially. I know, grocery store bags) for a downpour of a game? OR, it's sweltering. I just perspired so much that I have sweat stains all over my favorite hat. What's the best way to clean it without shrinking it?
Old Wed Sep 24, 2003, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JMN
4) It's raining. What are your best tips to stay dry (feet especially. I know, grocery store bags) for a downpour of a game? OR, it's sweltering. I just perspired so much that I have sweat stains all over my favorite hat. What's the best way to clean it without shrinking it?
Put it in the dishwasher but don't use hot water. Take it out before the drying cycle starts.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Sep 24, 2003, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JMN
A couple of housekeeping items:

1) As R, you toss the coin. Team A will receive. What is the best way to get the teams to place their backs to the goal lines that they will defend? I always tell them to place their backs to their goal lines and look at me, but many times they are just confused. Any non-fail tips?
I would like to know a better way too. I try to point one team in the right direction and hope the other gets the idea.
Quote:

2) On the flanks, during my pregame, I always move the yardage markers at least 6 ft off the sideline. This provides a natural boundary during the game to keep spectators and players back. Seems obvious, but I see some guys trying to work around them or only moving them back a few feet. Also gives more room for the chains. Does everyone do this?
We move them off at least 6 feet. The way I see it the further away the better.
Quote:

3) How about a fool proof way of communicating to the coaches when the 2nd half will begin as they leave the field. Do you give them a specific time, such as 8:15pm? What if they're watch and yours are different? I start the game clock and tell them to be back before it runs down to 00:00. Ideas? Better ways?
Never told them when to be back. Assumed that if they wanted to play the game then they would look at the clock and get back in time all by themselves. They always seem to be there in time for the opening kickoff.
Old Wed Sep 24, 2003, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to AlabamaBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by JMN

Dunno if it's NFHS or AHSAA mechanics, but here the BJ is responsible for letting the visitors know when they have 5 minutes left in the half, and the LJ is responsible for the same with the home team.
Old Thu Sep 25, 2003, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

I always face the clock during the coin toss. I step between the captains and looking at the captians who will defend the non clock end zone say: "Gentlemen, put your backs to this goal, please." and use a swing motion of my arm to move them. To the other captains, I point and say: "Gentlemen, put your backs to that goal, please." I am now in an easy position to get to the press box side to signal the choices.
Old Thu Sep 25, 2003, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JMN

REPLY: We usually tell the coaches,"Look at your watch. You need to be back on the field __ minutes from now for your warm-up period."

Bob M.
Old Thu Sep 25, 2003, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nvfoa15
If I'm the R, I tell one team to "stand over here like I am" and tell the other team to "stand over there like the other officials."

They seem to be less confused than any other way I say it.
Old Sun Sep 28, 2003, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

As R, you toss the coin. Team A will receive. What is the best way to get the teams to place their backs to the goal lines that they will defend? I always tell them to place their backs to their goal lines and look at me, but many times they are just confused. Any non-fail tips?

This is my first full varsity season wearing the white hat and this is what I found to be the easiest. I ask the coin toss winner for their choice. Once they choose, I give the other team the remaining choices and back if needed. The team that gets the first half choice (the coin toss winner if they didn't defer, the other team if they did), I just tell them to come with me and I walk them so their backs are to the goal they will defend. The other team gets the hint. I then hit the shoulder pads of the team that made their first half choice and signal their choice. Works so far...

Hope that makes sense....