The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 08, 2016, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Umpire spotting after a try

Hey, looking for some opinions on after the ball is spotted for the try and R blows the RFP and then the center asks for the ball to spotted on a different location between the hashes. Do we grant that request? Just curious on what other crews are doing.
Thanks
Old Thu Sep 08, 2016, 11:05am
TODO: creative title here

The ball can be moved before the RFP on a try, but not after the RFP. (4-3-6).

If a dead ball foul occurs after the RFP (False start, offside, etc), the ball can be moved at that point. (4-3-5)

If a live-ball foul occurs and the try will be replayed, the ball can also be moved at that point. (4-3-5)
Old Thu Sep 08, 2016, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

We have discussed this issue at length as a crew the past few years. Teams seem to try and take more and more time between score and try. The best method to get them off the sideline is for R to blow the RFP. However, this inevitably leads to this exact situation where they want to then relocate the ball.

It seems an unfair advantage to let them take extra time but to avoid this situation we are trying to send the wings over to get them out and ask if the ball should be placed anywhere else but the middle.

Thoughts?
Old Thu Sep 08, 2016, 04:03pm
TODO: creative title here

Pregame conference: "Coach, if you want the ball spotted somewhere other than the middle of the field after a touchback or a touchdown, have your QB/Center/Captain/Whoever let us know immediately."
Old Thu Sep 08, 2016, 04:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

As the R I quickly ask before the RFP if they have a desire to move the ball. If I get no response or no request, then we put the ball down and I blow the whistle. Takes a few seconds and at least I asked and then they cannot complain if they want a change afterwards.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 12, 2016, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
As the R I quickly ask before the RFP if they have a desire to move the ball. If I get no response or no request, then we put the ball down and I blow the whistle. Takes a few seconds and at least I asked and then they cannot complain if they want a change afterwards.

Peace
That's also what we do...
Old Mon Sep 12, 2016, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Pregame conference: "Coach, if you want the ball spotted somewhere other than the middle of the field after a touchback or a touchdown, have your QB/Center/Captain/Whoever let us know immediately."
Once again, "an ounce of prevention....."
Old Mon Sep 12, 2016, 08:01pm
Official & ***** Member

My "ounce of prevention" is to hold the RFP until they line up. No muss, no fuss, no complaints.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2016, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Don't hold up the game. If there are a bunch of scores, you'll be there all night.

Just have the U stay with the ball. He can immediately alert the R if there's talk about moving the ball. He can also tell the defenders to stay off the snapper while he's there.
Old Fri Sep 23, 2016, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Just a dumb coach over here, but we can elect to have the ball placed on the hash after a touchback?
Old Fri Sep 23, 2016, 11:50am
Archaic Power Monger

Yes you can. After a fair catch, too.
Old Sat Sep 24, 2016, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
My "ounce of prevention" is to hold the RFP until they line up. No muss, no fuss, no complaints.
ABSOLUTELY, a lot of good ideas and practical advice. However, sometimes we fall into patterns, make assumptions or young players or excited coaches don't (or forget) to convey their intentions as well as we should.

The fall back position is "advantage/disadvantage". If a "late" request is made to move the ball, is either team gaining/suffering an unfair advantage by doing so? Was this a simple oversight, or a constant nagging, can it be accommodated without any serious disruption, and perhaps most importantly, is this the best opportunity for you to assert your superior knowledge of the fine points of the rules and your management and control authority?

Sometimes being technically correct isn't all it's cracked up to be, it really all depends on the specific situation you're dealing with, and demonstrating flexibility can be a useful asset.

Last edited by ajmc; Sat Sep 24, 2016 at 09:52am.