The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Umpire spotting after a try (https://forum.officiating.com/football/101613-umpire-spotting-after-try.html)

stinger1 Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:55am

Umpire spotting after a try

Hey, looking for some opinions on after the ball is spotted for the try and R blows the RFP and then the center asks for the ball to spotted on a different location between the hashes. Do we grant that request? Just curious on what other crews are doing.
Thanks

jTheUmp Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:05am

The ball can be moved before the RFP on a try, but not after the RFP. (4-3-6).

If a dead ball foul occurs after the RFP (False start, offside, etc), the ball can be moved at that point. (4-3-5)

If a live-ball foul occurs and the try will be replayed, the ball can also be moved at that point. (4-3-5)

dieter Thu Sep 08, 2016 03:59pm

We have discussed this issue at length as a crew the past few years. Teams seem to try and take more and more time between score and try. The best method to get them off the sideline is for R to blow the RFP. However, this inevitably leads to this exact situation where they want to then relocate the ball.

It seems an unfair advantage to let them take extra time but to avoid this situation we are trying to send the wings over to get them out and ask if the ball should be placed anywhere else but the middle.

Thoughts?

jTheUmp Thu Sep 08, 2016 04:03pm

Pregame conference: "Coach, if you want the ball spotted somewhere other than the middle of the field after a touchback or a touchdown, have your QB/Center/Captain/Whoever let us know immediately."

JRutledge Thu Sep 08, 2016 04:47pm

As the R I quickly ask before the RFP if they have a desire to move the ball. If I get no response or no request, then we put the ball down and I blow the whistle. Takes a few seconds and at least I asked and then they cannot complain if they want a change afterwards.

Peace

Canned Heat Mon Sep 12, 2016 03:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 990527)
As the R I quickly ask before the RFP if they have a desire to move the ball. If I get no response or no request, then we put the ball down and I blow the whistle. Takes a few seconds and at least I asked and then they cannot complain if they want a change afterwards.

Peace

That's also what we do...

ajmc Mon Sep 12, 2016 04:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 990526)
Pregame conference: "Coach, if you want the ball spotted somewhere other than the middle of the field after a touchback or a touchdown, have your QB/Center/Captain/Whoever let us know immediately."

Once again, "an ounce of prevention....."

CT1 Mon Sep 12, 2016 08:01pm

My "ounce of prevention" is to hold the RFP until they line up. No muss, no fuss, no complaints.

Texas Aggie Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:48pm

Don't hold up the game. If there are a bunch of scores, you'll be there all night.

Just have the U stay with the ball. He can immediately alert the R if there's talk about moving the ball. He can also tell the defenders to stay off the snapper while he's there.

CoachLamb Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:00am

Just a dumb coach over here, but we can elect to have the ball placed on the hash after a touchback?

Welpe Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:50am

Yes you can. After a fair catch, too.

ajmc Sat Sep 24, 2016 09:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT1 (Post 990751)
My "ounce of prevention" is to hold the RFP until they line up. No muss, no fuss, no complaints.

ABSOLUTELY, a lot of good ideas and practical advice. However, sometimes we fall into patterns, make assumptions or young players or excited coaches don't (or forget) to convey their intentions as well as we should.

The fall back position is "advantage/disadvantage". If a "late" request is made to move the ball, is either team gaining/suffering an unfair advantage by doing so? Was this a simple oversight, or a constant nagging, can it be accommodated without any serious disruption, and perhaps most importantly, is this the best opportunity for you to assert your superior knowledge of the fine points of the rules and your management and control authority?

Sometimes being technically correct isn't all it's cracked up to be, it really all depends on the specific situation you're dealing with, and demonstrating flexibility can be a useful asset.