The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 15, 2016, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

insurance

I am looking for a liability insurance provider for members of our association (all sports). Policy needs to cover all traditionally main youth/HS/adult sports.

Any recommendations?

I looked at NASO-but they are (in my opinion) expensive.

I found this company below online. At $10 a year they are pretty cheap. I have 2 concerns for this company:
1. Does not cover regular football (only flag football).
2. Never heard of them-and $10 is maybe too cheap to trust.

SODA Amateur Sports Insurance
Old Thu Jun 16, 2016, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

I'm a commercial insurance underwriter, and can tell you that since they make it clear the coverage is only for officiating the sports they list (which doesn't include tackle football) then there is no reason to purchase the insurance. It appears that this program is really geared to leagues that may want coverage for their officials also. I would talk to NASO and see if they offer a discount for an association.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2016, 11:22am
Archaic Power Monger

NASO usually does offer association discounts. As an association, we pay quite a bit less per member than the individual membership price.

That said, I think the coverage and benefits are worth it. In addition to liability coverage, you have access to their MICP or Member's Information and Consulting Program plus coverage and legal support if an official is assaulted.
Old Fri Jun 17, 2016, 08:44am
Chain of Fools

If you join national NFHS, they offer liability coverage through your membership. Officials can join individually or as a group.

Any local, general insurance agency in your town should be able to write you a group policy
Old Wed Jun 22, 2016, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Insurance is available for NFHS members as HLinNC said above.

Membership

INSURANCE SUMMARY FOR THE NFHS OFFICIALS ASSOCIATION
Dissinger Reed is proud to provide insurance and risk management for the NFHS Officials Association. With over 34 years of insurance experience for governing organizations and high school associations, Dissinger Reed understands the unique special risks involved with the NFHS and its members. The NFHS and Dissinger Reed have specifically designed an insurance plan to cover Officials and all registered member Associations. Plan details are as follows:
WHAT ARE MY INSURANCE BENEFITS AS A NFHS OFFICIAL?:
As a member of the National Federation of High Schools Officials Association, you are provided with an insurance package which includes, General Liability, Accident Medical and Accidental Death and Dismemberment insurance. This insurance package is provided to you as part of your membership dues. There is no additional fee.
WHAT OFFICIALS ARE COVERED?:
All officials currently registered with a member state association, or with an affiliate of the NFHS (if that association registers officials and if that association registers for NFHS insurance benefits)
State and local officials’ associations who have 100% membership in the NFHS Officials Association.
Assignors, instructors and rule interpreters who are currently registered with the NFOA are covered under the Liability Policy for claims involving bodily injury and property damage. There is no coverage under the Liability Policy for any other type of claim.
WHAT ACTIVITIES ARE COVERED?:
Insurance coverage applies while the member is performing his/her officiating duties during a regularly scheduled sports or activity competition.
The sport or activity must be recognized in that state by the member state high school association or by high schools that follow the state association guidelines.
If the sport is recognized by the state high school association for men or women, the official will be covered for officiating that sport for both men and women.
Officiating duties include chain crews and attending officiating camps, clinics and meetings.
Coverage for officials extends, not only to high school activities, but also to college, independent youth, adult and recreational leagues. However, coverage is still limited only to sports recognized by the state high school association.
Accident medical coverage only for direct travel to and from a covered activity. No general liability coverage.
NFHS OFFICIALS ASSOCIATION GENERAL LIABILITY INSURANCE BENEFIT SUMMARY
General Aggregate Limit – $5,000,000
Products-Completed Operations Aggregate Limit $5,000,000
Each Occurrence Limit $2,000,000
Personal & Advertising Injury Limit $2,000,000
Damage to Premises Rented to You $300,000
Premises Medical Payments $5,000
Sexual Abuse & Molestation – Each Occurrence $1,000,000
Sexual Abuse & Molestation – Aggregate $2,000,000
Participant Legal Liability $2,000,000
Crisis Response – Each Event/Aggregate $25,000
Insurance Company Information: Everest National Insurance Company. AM Best’s Rating – A (Excellent)
NFHS OFFICIALS ASSOCIATION ACCIDENT MEDICAL INSURANCE BENEFIT SUMMARY
Maximum Benefit $50,000
Deductible $250
Maximum Dental Limit Included in Medical Max
Heart & Circulatory Maximum Benefit $2,500
Heart & Circulatory Malfunction Benefit 10%
Physical Therapy/Chiropractic – per visit $50
Physical Therapy/Chiropractic – Maximum per Injury $2,000
Durable Medical Equipment – Maximum per Injury $1,000
Outpatient Prescriptions – Maximum per Injury $1,000
Accidental Death & Dismemberment Benefit $2,500
Insurance Company Information: United States Fire Insurance Company, AM Best’s Rating – A (Excellent)
These benefit summaries are for illustration purposes only. For a list of policies provisions, as well as exclusions, please see the full policy.
CERTIFICATE OF INSURANCE
Many officials are required to show proof of liability insurance in order to perform their duties as an official. By clicking here you will be able to request a current certificate of liability insurance that, in conjunction with your current NFHS membership, will demonstrate that you are covered by the NFHS Insurance program.
PLAN ADMINISTRATOR
Dissinger Reed
8700 Indian Creek Pkwy, STE 320
Overland Park, KS 66210
toll-free: 800-386-9183
tel: 913-491-6385
fax: 913-491-0527
Sports Insurance for the NCAA and High Schools | Dissinger Reed
www.nfhs.org/dissingerreed
FOR ANY NFHS ASSOCIATION QUESTIONS, PLEASE CONTACT:
Christian Reed – President
Max Biggerstaff – Account Executive
Mindee Blount – Business Development
Claims Questions: please call 800-386-9183 and speak with Max Biggerstaff.
Please Note: For Membership questions, please call the NFHS directly at (317) 972-6900.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jun 22, 2016, 07:05pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Through our association, we pay $82/year for NASO membership (which for us includes a training program, as well).

Anyone who thinks $82 for a year of Referee magazine plus full NASO membership is expensive is probably officiating in 10-year-old purplish hats cause a new one would be too expensive.
Old Wed Jun 22, 2016, 08:47pm
Archaic Power Monger

Come on Rich, new hats cut in on the beer and Las Vegas budget.
Old Wed Jun 22, 2016, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Does anyone know if the NASO discount requires a certain number of sign-ups? In other words, I'd pitch this to my local chapter but I don't know how many would be interested. 50, MAYBE.
Old Wed Jun 22, 2016, 10:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Does anyone know if the NASO discount requires a certain number of sign-ups? In other words, I'd pitch this to my local chapter but I don't know how many would be interested. 50, MAYBE.
You should simply call them and ask. They have different tiers for associations.