The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 15, 2003, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Question was raised on the way to the game and would like opinions please or actually the correct ruling!

Play

Scrimmage kick situation:

4th and 8 from K's 45

K punts the ball to R. K's punt rolls into the endzone(touchback obviously if no foul)
But:
1) R1 calls for a fair catch and blocks K1 at Rs 15 yard line before the ball crosses the goal line.
Where is the basic spot of the foul for illegal block on R1?

2) R1 DOES not call for a fair catch and holds K2 at R's 15 yard line before the ball crosses the goal line.
Where is the basic spot of the foul for holding on R1?

Question is with the new PSK rule since the foul occured in front of the spot where the kick ended the foul should be penalized from the end of the kick. Here the kick ends when it crosses the goal line for a touch back. So do you mark from the R's 20? I felt you should penalize the R team where it hurts them the worse. If that is not the case you can get a pretty good cheap shot in and not get hurt real bad.

What does everybody think??
Old Mon Sep 15, 2003, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BoBo
Question was raised on the way to the game and would like opinions please or actually the correct ruling!

Play

Scrimmage kick situation:

4th and 8 from K's 45

K punts the ball to R. K's punt rolls into the endzone(touchback obviously if no foul)
But:
1) R1 calls for a fair catch and blocks K1 at Rs 15 yard line before the ball crosses the goal line.
Where is the basic spot of the foul for illegal block on R1?

2) R1 DOES not call for a fair catch and holds K2 at R's 15 yard line before the ball crosses the goal line.
Where is the basic spot of the foul for holding on R1?

Question is with the new PSK rule since the foul occured in front of the spot where the kick ended the foul should be penalized from the end of the kick. Here the kick ends when it crosses the goal line for a touch back. So do you mark from the R's 20? I felt you should penalize the R team where it hurts them the worse. If that is not the case you can get a pretty good cheap shot in and not get hurt real bad.

What does everybody think??
The foul meets PSK criteria. Basic spot is the 20 yard line because the kick was ruled a touchback. If foul occured by R behind basic spot, penalize from the spot of the foul. If not, penalize from the basic spot.

Old Mon Sep 15, 2003, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Mike

Here is the play that worries me. As an expunt returner in my glory days haha, when I called for a fair catch the gunners would almost always look up in the air to find the football. Obviously calling for a fair catch and blocking was illegal but without the signal and they did this it was a devasting block.

So as a return man smokes one of these kick coverers at the 10 you are saying the spot will be 10 yards form the 20. I thought it may be 10 yards (in this case 5 yards half the distance) and 1st and 10 from the R's 5 yard line
Old Mon Sep 15, 2003, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

All But One - this is a foul by the offense behind the basic spot, the "One." Penalize from the spot of the foul.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2003, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

I am in agreement that it should be penalized from the spot of the foul.