The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 17, 2003, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

We are having a disagreement about weasther #95 is T or F. Question: If a kickoff is at rest on R's 5 yard line and R1 intentionally kicks the ball through R's end zone, it is a touchback weather the penality for illegal kicking is declined or accepted.

I know that force is not an issue, kick has not been possesed so kick did not end. All kicks into R's end zone is a touchback. But is NF implying that it is technically a touchback either way, then penality enforcement, if accepted would have K kicking 15 yards up (from the B-45), or if accepted, it would not longer be a touch back since the kick is re-played?

I ask this because I noticed that someone posted their True answers,scoring 98%, another stated they were correct except #10 amd #99. According too those who already recieved their results, this question is FALSE. Anyone know exactly why?
Old Wed Sep 17, 2003, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

I went back and forth on this one as well. If it is a TB when the penalty is accepted, then we would enforce from the SS. This is not the case, however, because there is a rekick, so it has to be false.

I was surprised it was under a category other than 'force'.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2003, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't take the part II test but here are my two cents.

R accepts the penalty, it is NOT a touchback. K will free-kick again after penalty is accessed.

R declines the penalty, it IS a touchback and will be placed at the 20 yard line.

So I would answer this FALSE.

This wansn't under PSK or New Rules/Points of Emphasis was it?
Old Wed Sep 17, 2003, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

not psk

This is not psk because it was a kick off, not a scrimmage kick.

I saw the question the same way. Looking at the end result of the play. and enforcement is at previuos spot.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2003, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

I looked at the question as asking whether the penalty is enforced from succeeding spot (touchback- enforce from 20) or previous spot (rekick).

Since it's a rekick (loose ball play) I said FALSE.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2003, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Tom Hinrichs
I would say that the answer is true. Any kick entering R's end zone is a touch back. Force is not a factor.

For penalty enforcement, the succeeding spot would be the 20 yard line. If K accepts the penalty,the penalty would be enforced from the 5 yard line- since the spot of the foul is behind the basic spot. First and 10 from the 2.5.

If K declines the penalty- it will be R's ball first and 10 from the 20.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2003, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

But Tom, there was a foul before the kick ended - if accepted, its a re-kick from the previous spot.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2003, 04:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Good point Aboselli. I think we all have agreed the answer is fault but I was thinking half the distance from the 5 as well. But since R did not gain possession then it would be 15 yards and rekick.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2003, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Hinrichs
...For penalty enforcement, the succeeding spot would be the 20 yard line. If K accepts the penalty,the penalty would be enforced from the 5 yard line- since the spot of the foul is behind the basic spot. First and 10 from the 2.5.
REPLY: Not true. This was a free kick. Since the foul occurred during a loose ball play, the basic spot is the previous spot. If accepted, K would rekick from R's 45.

As for the test question, just another example of the Federation testing symantics rather than rules knowledge. An argument could be made either way. Yeah, if the penalty is declined, then it's indeed a TB and R takes it at his 20. If you're new to Federation T-F tests, you'll have to get used to these things!
Old Fri Sep 19, 2003, 02:14am
Official Forum Member

this was one of two I missed GRRRRRRRR