The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 21, 2015, 01:29am
Get away from me, Steve.

I'm amazed that so many have such an antiquated notion of what's right.

If you asked 10 people what it should be after a 10-yard holding foul on 1st and 10, 9 would say it should be 1st and 20.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2015, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
I would not be surprised if it is because too many schools are getting tired of having to explain to fans why a first and 10 became a first and 27 after a "10-yard" holding penalty.
Are you suggesting the rules of a game be changed to accommodate those (hopefully few) fans who have not bothered to understand the rules of the game they are watching? Sounds like an excellent opportunity for the fan who may be confused, to seek the necessary details to educate him/herself.

It seems reasonable to anticipate interested spectators should understand there are multiple, some of which are significant, rule differences between the game played at the Interscholastic level (involving teenagers and younger), Collegiate football (played by talented youngMEN) and seasoned professional athletes in a game involving intense physical contact.

Last edited by ajmc; Mon Dec 21, 2015 at 10:36am.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2015, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

If you asked 10 people what it should be after a 10-yard holding foul on 1st and 10, 9 would say it should be 1st and 20.
Can't tell if sarcastic.

Probably those 9 people wouldn't be thinking about it enough to realize that a lot of action might've occurred before the foul. If they actually saw it on the field, I doubt many of them would think that a foul that occurred +/- 40 yards from the previous spot should be penalized from the previous spot, let alone a foul that occurred after a change of possession. They're just giving a glib answer to get on to more interesting questions in the poll, like who should be president or whether GMO organisms should be banned. They'd think you were just asking a screening question to determine whether the respondent was familiar with football, for some reason the poll taker wanted to group such respondents.
Old Tue Dec 22, 2015, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Why should be care what 9 out of 10 people (who may or may not have any idea what they are talking about) think the proper response is? Our role is to KNOW, and depending on which code we are working under, do what's right.