The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 21, 2015, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Fenway Park

I just saw the preview of the Notre Dame vs. Boston College game being played at Fenway Park and they commented on both teams being on the same sideline. Obviously there are all kinds of logistical issues the officials will have to adjust to for this game, but I'm curious to see how substitutions work. Specifically, I'm interested to see how matchup substitutions will play out when the defense is on the end of the field opposite its own bench. Based on my understanding of NCAA rules and mechanics, the offense won't be able to substitute with less than about 15 to 20 seconds on the play clock because it could take them 10-15 seconds just to run a substitute in or off the field if a 300 pound D-lineman has to run 60-70 yards off or back to the bench. In this scenario the crew should prevent the snap until the oncoming sub has time to get into position and the outgoing player has had an opportunity to make it back to the bench. My thought is that it could take the sub 10 seconds to get to the opposite end of the field and even if the outgoing player realizes he is being subbed for when that player is halfway downfield (5 seconds), if he takes the same 10 seconds to run off that is a total of 15 seconds.

Anyone have any thoughts on this or heard any details on adjustments being made by the officiating crew for this game?
Old Sat Nov 21, 2015, 12:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

I am sure it will be treated the exact same way it is normally, you just will have subs coming from the same side of the field. I do not see this as a big deal as the wings on the side of the field signal that a sub is coming. Since wings switch sided, I would assume that each side's wings will get a shot to signal the mechanics.

Peace
Old Sat Nov 21, 2015, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Signaling subs brings up a good point...is there a way to signal which team is subbing? It is obvious if there is only 1 team on each side, but not so much when both teams are on the same side. There is also the issue of a coach trying to request a TO if play is on the far side of the field. Can he run through the other teams bench area to get the attention of the wing?

I'm not trying to say the teams and officials won't be able to handle this or chaos will ensue, but I do think some extra planning/adjustments will be needed. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever had this type of situation, has heard anything about it, or has any thoughts in general about it.
Old Sat Nov 21, 2015, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

This is not new to the NCAA. Take a look into the Emerald Bowl/Fight Hunger Bowl when it was played at AT&T Park from 2002 to 2013.
Old Sun Nov 22, 2015, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

Given the choice between single-sideline and single end zone I'd choose single end zone every time.

What I mean by single end zone is that every time the team on offense changes, the teams switch direction, so that if the team on defense intercepts or returns a fumble, all they have to do is cross the goal line. It's possible that a returned ball could then be fumbled into the pads that make up the back of the end zone, but not very likely, and it's an acceptable risk.

I've done single end zone when a park was being rebuilt and one end zone was missing its goal post and had part of a running track going through it.
Old Sun Nov 22, 2015, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

And for that setup, look to the Northwestern/Illnois game played at Wrigley Field a couple years ago. The B1G commissioner's office approved the setup on paper, but when the lines were drawn and the pads put in place, they decided at the last minute that the right field wall was too close to the end zone.
Old Sun Nov 22, 2015, 02:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner View Post
Signaling subs brings up a good point...is there a way to signal which team is subbing? It is obvious if there is only 1 team on each side, but not so much when both teams are on the same side. There is also the issue of a coach trying to request a TO if play is on the far side of the field. Can he run through the other teams bench area to get the attention of the wing?
You only signal subs for the offense. It does not matter what the defense is doing other than being able to match. If the offense never subs, you give no signal. It just is supposed to come from the side of the field the teams are located. Well teams in this case are from one side of the field obviously.

Oh and this has been done a few times over the years as there have been several bowl games that played where both teams were on the same sideline. So I am sure there is not much confusion on what to do based on the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner View Post
I'm not trying to say the teams and officials won't be able to handle this or chaos will ensue, but I do think some extra planning/adjustments will be needed. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever had this type of situation, has heard anything about it, or has any thoughts in general about it.
Just like anything we do and the field or the teams cause some kind of adjustment. I did not see the game, but I am sure once this was discussed and a policy was put in place which may have come from the supervisor, the officials did their job just fine and did not have much issues.

Now I have never personally had such an issue, but it could not be any different than other issues a field can cause.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 24, 2015, 10:32am
In Time Out

Great environment and fun game to watch